Solder???

Options
2»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,213
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thing is, 100g of the Cardas (from Music Direct I'm assuming) is only $10 cheaper than the full pound roll from Sonic Craft ($35 for 1lb roll).

EDIT: It is a little cheaper for the 100g roll at Handmade Electronics' store.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Options
    That was to be my answer as well....but I had recently ran out of both and was in the middle of an order with parts express ( Had a good laugh at the parts express rapist thread...I always order enough from them to get free shipping ) and ran across this stuff http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=370-038
    so I grabbed a half pound ( Only comes in .5 pounds...equals out to be 47.60 a pound ) and will use it this weekend to finish my custom monitor 10 project.

I had a spool of this stuff, and it doesn't bond well to thicker electronics without a lot of heat. It is a fairly heavy ga, tends to ball up on the soldering iron tip, and doesn't melt easy. I had to toss a connector because it took too long to heat the barrel of an RCA enough to get a good bond, and the insulation between the center pin, and the shell melted a little. I also tried a small spool of WBT, and it wasn't much better. The Rat Shack silver solder is very easy to work with for the novice tech. Also the finish of the Rat Shack Silver solder is very smooth, and professional looking.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben