Ben's(BW Audio) silver interconnects

Options
Face
Face Posts: 14,340
edited December 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I received a pair of silver I/C from Ben about a week ago but didn't have a chance to install them till today.

Ben's cables are replacing my solid silver Goertz/Alpha Core Sapphires($341 a meter). The Goertz cables confirm silver doesn't always mean bright. They are definitely on the warm side with impressive bass.

A word of warning on installing these. They cables are directional, so you really should pay attention to which end goes where [before] installing them. And with the locking RCA's, this is very important. Especially since I don't know my own strength sometimes. :D

My initial impression. Ben's cables are definitely brighter than my Sapphires, but with no loss of bass. Since the rest of my equipment is far from bright, these cables really woke things up.

Last night I remembered listening to Tool's "Roseta Stoned" off of 10,000 with my Polks, then again this morning with my Tannoys. At times it sounded "cluttered". After installing the BW Audio I/C's, it opened things up. The congestion was gone and the song became much more enjoyable.

Afterwards I listened to the "Brahm Stokers Dracula" soundtrack. These cables opened things up and brought out more detail to what I already thought sounded great.

My last reference song was Smashing Pumpkins "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans". Again, theses cables appeared to clear up any congestion and bring forward necessary details.

I'll be sure to post my impressions again once they're broken in. Ben should consider renaming his cables from BWA's to BGK's, Ben's Giant Killers. :D
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
Post edited by Face on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the review. Repost after about 40hrs;) When the locking connectors are facing away it becomes righty loosy:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Ben, thanks again for the great price!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Options
    After a break in period of about a week of continuous play, Ben's cables sounded very open and detailed with really nice bass extention. I got no hint of brightness AFTER they were broken in. During the break in however I would play a record and some portions sounded harsh. I would play that same record a day or two later and the harshness was gone. That told me that the cables hadn't burned in yet.
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Any harshness is gone, thanks!

Can't wait to get the rest of my I/C's. :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I've had one of Ben's IC's in my system on a secondary source just for break in. After about thirty hours it was like wow! Tight bass, I wouldn't say the cable were bright, but the soundstage definitely opened up. It sounded more spacious or "airy". Great cables!
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I'm going through a burnin period with new cables Ben sent me recently. I know they need to be burned in because from time to time they sound harsh then awesome, the bass sounds deep and tight then very thin, the imaging is spot on and then smeared, the soundstage sounds very wide and deep then sounds crunched together.

These are classic symptoms that a piece of electronic equipment or cables need to be burned in.

I took the cables and connected them to the analog outputs of my digital player then set the volume on high within the player and am playing full frequency classical music through them. I'm gonna see how well it goes after about 48 hours.

Ben I forget the name of these cables, help me out here.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I'm going through a burnin period with new cables Ben sent me recently. I know they need to be burned in because from time to time they sound harsh then awesome, the bass sounds deep and tight then very thin, the imaging is spot on and then smeared, the soundstage sounds very wide and deep then sounds crunched together.

These are classic symptoms that a piece of electronic equipment or cables need to be burned in.

I took the cables and connected them to the analog outputs of my digital player then set the volume on high within the player and am playing full frequency classical music through them. I'm gonna see how well it goes after about 48 hours.

Ben I forget the name of these cables, help me out here.

The cables I sent are experimental(Joe knows) for guys that are having issues with TT transformer noise. These have a full shield. I am experiencing the same thing as Joe on these. I have about 30hrs on mine, and they are getting better. The braided ones I have never had any complaints about any noise. We have discussed this, and there are many variables in Joe's system. He is trying them on his DAC, but due to the larger ga, and the shielding burn in may take some time. Joe, and I have been working together on this one (beta tester :p). What we are hoping to achieve is a cable suited for TT guys with trans former noise. I am not sending these out till Joe, and I come to the conclusion that this is a burn in issue, and the cable becomes consistent HQ. I to have gone through slamming bass to thin bass with these, but not the imaging issues. Again these are the experimental cables.

Thanks for all your support guys.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben