Traveling signals...

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
This question is now moot because of the design I've chosen (the amp is going to be attached to the subwoofer), but I'm still curious as to opinions...

If you had to do a long signal run, some of it line level, some of it speaker level, which piece would you try to make the shortest??

I'm dealing with a TOTAL run of less than 20 feet, so I sort of doubt it makes that much of a difference... but it got me thinking about longer runs and whether it would be better to have the longer portion as line or speaker?

One other question about cable.... for example, I know that a regular old patch cable won't work for digital coax signals. And I know you can buy "special" LFE cables... but is there any reason I can't use ANY good line-level cable (like an extra digital coax cable or a good regular audio interconnect) to run the LFE signal to the amp??

Of course I've read that LFE signals need special cable due to "special" characteristics of low frequency signals.. but that has usually been written by a company/person trying to sell me a special cable.

Also, why does Polk recommend connecting a subwoofer using the L/R speaker-level output rather than the LFE output?? Ha ha ha, just kidding. :lol:

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My 2c is keep the speaker runs as short as possible.

I have also questioned the need for expensive LFE cables because, "I assume the LFE is analogue?" so in my minds eye an unbalanced audio cable should do just fine.

For LFE I also just assume DC resistance when looking at the circuit and then back that into the pre of the sub amp. Not sure what else to say here so I'll just shut up.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***