Need speaker upgrade advice - have rt25i now

Options
gplracer
gplracer Posts: 36
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I have two rt25i and a cs245i for my front speakers. For the rear I have two r-5 speakers. The front and center were bought in the last year at Circuit City. I still have the option of trading them in for a free upgrade. This option will end at the beginning of December. For subs I have 2 SVS 20-39CS+ subs(they rock!) I like my Polk speakers but just wondered if there is anything at Circuit City I should buy before my ugrade option disappears. I do not need more bass. The SVS subs make things in my house move. How much better are the new Polk rt28i speakers or is there something else I should look at? Thanks for your time!
Post edited by gplracer on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Have you considered the RT55 or RT70? Both are excellant speakers with regards to value and performance.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited October 2002
    Options
    upgrade bug I feel.......lets see.......245i...swap that out for a csi40,then get the rt25i's out and go rti38's,pick up another pair of rti38's for the rear and you'll have a real nice upgrade.

Or just keep what you got and be happy.........can you????I can't!!!!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I'd keep the RT25's. What about them are you not satisfied with, or is this just an upgrade bug?

I'm not familar with an 'R-5', but if you meant RT5, I'll gladly take them off your hands.... Seems to me your front and rear stage consists of Stereophile Class C recommended components.

I don't think the 38 would be a substantial, if even noticeable, upgrade. If your choices are limited to CC upgrades, have a listen to some Polk RTi towers. Move the 25's to rear duty, and if you won't sell me the RT5's, setup a 2ch rig, or 2nd zone with 'em.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ralph76
    ralph76 Posts: 36
    edited October 2002
    Options
    If you get the RT70i you'll be in love with em. Thats for sure. I got the rt600i's right before they were discontiued and they are excellent.....
    Polk RT600i's
    Polk C245i Center
    Jbl surrounds (need to find F/X300s) info anyone???
    Harmon Kardon AVR80
    Sony Processor SDP-E800
    Toshiba DVD SD-1200
    Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320
    Monster 400MKII Interconnects
    --all protected by PANAMAX 1000+

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Sounds to me like a pretty well matched system to be honest. Unless you were going to look at towers rather than bookshelves, I don't really see that you would gain all that much.

Eff Russ, whatever he offers for the RT5's, I'll offer ten percent more. Besides, he is mean to kids, dogs and the elderly.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jbowl
    jbowl Posts: 72
    edited October 2002
    Options
    On a related note, this will eventually happen to me too.
    Upgrade bug vis-a-vis CC return policy.

I currently have the rti70's but i'm drooling over the rti150.

Would my Oink TX-SR600 @ 80wpc do the rti-150 justice?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Can't answer your Oink question, I would assume it would be listenable. Does it have pre-outs? If it doesn't suit them now, it can later with an external amp.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Options
    I would say that the RTi is pretty much designed to be run by HT recievers. However, there is no substitute for a good power amp. If the Onkyo has preouts, I would give series thought to adding and amp later on.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jbowl
    jbowl Posts: 72
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Newbie amp questions:

1. Is it proper to use a 2 channel amp for fronts and no external amps for surrounds and center, does that screw up balance or anything?

2. When the specs for amps show two wattage values one as 'mono bridged' does that imply using a seperate amp per speaker?

Thx, I don't know what I'd do without youse guys.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Jbowl,
    Using a 2 channel amp for the mains will work fine as long as the amp has enough gas. As with any changes you make to your system you should re-calibrate using your SPL meter to insure equal output from all speakers.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Does anyone know what Circuit City does with the used speakers they take back in trade??
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2002
    Options
    Sold as open box items.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited February 2003
    Options
    God bless ol' CC. That trade in policy and its resulting open-boxes allowed a poor ol' college guy like me to have a truly nice HT. I got my RT55i's for $120 each, my RT25i's for $60-70ish each, my CS245i for about $180, and my PSW-350 for $199. Compare those prices to the standard new prices and you'll see a huge price gap.

Anyway, on the topic of the forum, I highly suggest u hang onto those RT25i's for your rears or for something...GREAT speaker. I used em for fronts till I got my RT55i's. I'd whole-heartedly recommend doing some serious searching and try to find a CC or somewhere that still has a pair of RT55's if you want a little more gusto in your main channels.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • ralph76
    ralph76 Posts: 36
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Jbowl,
    Using a 2 channel amp for the mains will work fine as long as the amp has enough gas. As with any changes you make to your system you should re-calibrate using your SPL meter to insure equal output from all speakers.

Your right about that Frank,

I got one for Xmas... Man, the sound was like night and day.... Movies came alive...... Its a must have for any HT system...
    Polk RT600i's
    Polk C245i Center
    Jbl surrounds (need to find F/X300s) info anyone???
    Harmon Kardon AVR80
    Sony Processor SDP-E800
    Toshiba DVD SD-1200
    Sony Minidisk MDS-JE320
    Monster 400MKII Interconnects
    --all protected by PANAMAX 1000+

• criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Guys,

I also have some 600i'sand have the chance to pick up a HK PA2000 amp for a good price, under 2 bills, brand new. I have a Yam RS-V1300 reciever, will this be overkill?, I do not dare juminto that amp fight, I'm starting out in this.

CRj
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    Options
    CJR, may I suggest Anthem PVA 7 for $1500. Seven channels of amplification in one box for future use. Go to Anthem.com to see the spec. That is probably the amp I will get. Just my 2 cents. I don’t want to get in to any amp war either.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Options
    either this: ....Anthem PVA-7 review

or this: B&K 125.7 Spec

Looks like two very capable power amps..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.