Permanent driver damage??

Jockos
Jockos Posts: 310
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
Just got a new Yamaha receiver and wanted to push it hard a little. Had the volume at about 32db and watching Apollo 13's lift off scene. All of the sudden the speaker made the most God awful honking sound coming from the 6 in driver on one of my Monitor 5B's. I turned the volume down and the driver seems to be ok. Do you think I did any permanent damage? Guess it cant handle the ultra low bass.
Post edited by Jockos on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2003
    Have you listened to it since? If it is shot, you'll know it. If it sounds all right, chances are it is all right. If you turn in to moderate volumes and it screeches or sounds like a tin can, then I think its gone.
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited February 2003
    I've tried it at moderate volumes and it seems to be alright. Do you think -35db was too loud for it?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Obviously.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Is your new Yammie set to small for mains, etc, etc?

I can't relate to "-35db" setting, but it doesn't strike me as being all that aggressive a setting.

Was the "Apolo 13" test listen louder than you've heard it in the past?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    -34.00 on a yammy is pretty effin loud really, i push mine to -32.5 -- no more

how many wats ur yammer push?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Is your new Yammie set to small for mains, etc, etc?

The first step to making sure you don't break anything... Just for fun, run them on large and take off the grilles. Put on something with truly deep bass and watch the woofers work their asses off trying to make a sound. Very bad even at low volumes, and worse than dangerous when you're pushing it hard.