Butt ugly mini systems

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited February 2003
    Target has some fancier stuff here: http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_bb_br/602-9574686-3907820?node=1042098

They carry some Sharp stuff which has gotten better in the past few years. Worth looking at.

They have this Kenwood unit:

Kenwood XD-A75
    B00005OTFT.16._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's about the same as the JVC units only not as flashy. It's 170 bucks too.

Stay away from Target's Scott and GPX stuff. they are cheap ripoffs of already cheap stuff to begin with. The Audiovox deal isn't so great either. It has a real Mickey Mouse feel to it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    heres a pic for the lazy folk
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack
    Here are the prices of all of the units I posted from a quick scan. Better prices may be available.

Tivoli Audio Henry Kloss Model Two Table Radio w/CD - $359
    Denon D-M30 - $295
    DenonD-M50 - $385
    Denon D-M100 - $550
    Denon D-107 - $485
    Denon D-A03 - $215
    Yamaha MCR E150 - $399
    Onkyo MC35-Tech - $399

I was not referring to rs159's post but your comment that I quoted:

I never said they were "sparkling bargains" or bargains at all...just that they were good looking units (as opposed to butt ugly) from good companies that were in the general price range.

Where have you seen those prices? I have only seen prices at least 10% higher on all of them.

And no one was putting words in your mouth. I merely made a statement that was contradictory to yours and pointed out that you missed his price range by at least 50 bucks on 75% of your selections. At least from the prices I found.

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas

Well, in the past 2 years, that has to be the ONLY decent looking system I have seen. Have you listened to it? Does it sound any good? Onkyo makes decent electronics for the price, I imagine that it would be acceptable. I wonder what kind of speaker leads it has and what the impedance range is? If the speakers are junk but the electronics are decent, a pair of Polk RTi38's might go well with it and look a hell of alot better than whats there.

Actually, that pic doesn't do it justice. Need to be on an angle in better light to make it look right.

[IMG]C:\ForumPics\Onkyo.bmp[/IMG]

(If the pic doesn't show, I'm working on it)
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    heres a pic for the lazy folk

AH! The XOOM TOOBZ! Yeah, I think it's actually discontinued. At least that is what the guy at WAL*MART was telling the lady who was asking for it. Maybe WAL*MART just discontinued it? I don't know. The other Phillips units are ok too. I think the appearance leaves something to be desired though.

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    I agree, but for a shelf system that philips system can do some tunes, and do em pretty good -- it has a some tighter bass and a little bit more accurate approach for it. The looks look cheap and plasticy -- I like that......4 piece system, with the Sats -- man I bet that can jam, you can probally find that system else where
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Every price I quoted was from a reputable e-tailer.
    I merely made a statement that was contradictory to yours and pointed out that you missed his price range by at least 50 bucks on 75% of your selections. At least from the prices I found.

Then you were wrong or uninformed.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    I agree, but for a shelf system that philips system can do some tunes, and do em pretty good -- it has a some tighter bass and a little bit more accurate approach for it.
    Wudya know, MX is talking like a real live audiophile!
    The looks look cheap and plasticy -- I like that......

I take that back.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by rs159

I take that back.

i dunno if to laugh or argue....lol -- however....u missread my response, I said I like that.......4 piece system.....I dont like the cheap plastic look.....thats why I have polk....and real wood
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    yesum...

me -->dazeda.gif
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    I agree, but for a shelf system that philips system can do some tunes, and do em pretty good -- it has a some tighter bass and a little bit more accurate approach for it. The looks look cheap and plasticy -- I like that......4 piece system, with the Sats -- man I bet that can jam, you can probally find that system else where

Actually, the way you used the dashes and dots, it looks like you say "cheap plastic look - I like that" and then dots to separate that from "4 piece system, I bet that can jam". But let's not beat a dead horse.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    sorry my current response was misleading, i will try to refrain from doing so :lol:
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack
    Every price I quoted was from a reputable e-tailer.

Then you were wrong or uninformed.

If you are going to insist on being a jerk about this please go and look up the definitions of wrong and uninformed. I am not wrong given the information I have. You have yet to furnish any proof of your prices other than "a reputable e-tailer". However, I will tell you that I found all my prices at One Call or Crutchfield. How that makes me uniformed, I do not understand because clearly I did take the time to inform myself. Just because it was not the same information that you have expounded upon does not make me uninformed. It doesn't even make me misinformed. It just means that I am not privy to the same information as you. Therefore, if you are going to claim that I am uninformed and wrong then you clearly have asumed the burden of not only furnishing proof but also educating the rest of us on where you found your information.

As to how I was wrong, I cannot be considered wrong until you furnish your proof of the prices you have quoted. Why not give the rest of us the same "e-tailer" site that you used so maybe we can look for ourselves and those interested in buying could share the same discounted prices that you have?

Now please, if you are going to get sand in your shorts and try to give snide arguments, at least give us some basis for your statements. Otherwise you are just going to aggravate people. I have done nothing wrong. All I did was say that I didn't believe your prices, offered proof and then brought up the point that you did not answer the question given but rather applied your own criteria and selected products to match your criteria. You have done a disservice to rs159 by not answering his question and totally ignoring his needs. You offered an answer for a question that wasn't asked. Now you are starting an arguement over it when all that was needed was a website where you found teh prices. That's all. That's all I asked for and all anyone else in this thread asked for. You have information that obviously others here don't. The whole point of a forum like this is the free exchange of information.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Jstas, I've wasted my last keystroke on you! See ya!

Anyone else, It took me about 10 min. to come up with the prices of the various systems. You're welcome to e-mail me for a specific item but it would probably be quicker to to do a search.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    So you are just going to run home and cry and not share your website with anyone unless they contact you personally? Gee, thanks guy. Thanks for all your help.

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Just doing a Yahoo search I found pretty much the same prices shack did.

Goodness, I didn't realize that there were other retailers online other than One Call or Crutchfield :rolleyes:

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Why are you going to stick your nose in now? It obvious you don't like me so stay the hell away from me. All I did was say that I did not find the same prices as shack did. I gave my references and I gave One Call and Crutchfield because they were the cheapest prices I found. All I was looking for was a website. I didn't see a need to go searching when it was clear that shack already had the website listed. Instead I was told I was wrong and uninformed. Forgive me for being so bold as to actually think someone else would be interested in helping a guy out.

• TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Well you know, there is that pesky ol' first ammendment and all that.

Second, I think it's HILARIOUS that you get so fired up over essentially nothing.

Third, I never said I didn't like you, in fact, I have no opinion of you at all. I'm sure that you are a great guy.

Fourth, it took me all of about a minute to do a simple search to find the prices that shack did. If I was interested in those systems and did a little research, well shoot, it wasn't all that difficult. I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

The entertainment value is ASTRONOMICAL though.

If it makes you feel better though, I'll not post anything else in this thread.

BDT
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    It doesn't make sense to me. You are the most vocal of everyone when it comes to people getting into arguments in posts. You are always the first one to chime in and tell everyone to settle down and not get too hasty. Yet every single time, you are the antagonist. When something is left alone and nothing else needs to be said, you stick your nose in and start rattling peoples cages. Then you have the audacity to get all flustered and bent out of shape at those involved who respond badly to your olive branch wrapped in thorns.

• TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Well, my first post, I thought the whole pissing contest was a little absurd, so a little absurdity, I thought, was in order.

My second post, sure, I don't enjoy personal attacks and so forth. I do however enjoy seeing people who are a little oversensitive get p.o'd.

I'll leave you alone though while I still have all my teeth firmly in place.

BDT
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    I read that Sony is going to try to "revitalize" the Aiwa brand this yr. I'm sure that once they do that, we'll stop all this nasty fighting, since we'll all agree that the latest Aiwa minisystem puts the rest to shame.;)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    But why can't everyone know the secret "low price site" LOL :):):) Sure everyone can do research, But someone already did the leg work so give the effin site already!!!!!!!!!!

hEHE i am only kidding, oh and to an earlier post to me, i am not looking for a mini system, was just making a point... adding to the thread of which everyone always jumps on each other when they don't agree, I love this site and have thickened my skin to accomodate the "DRY" humor sometimes displayed here..

after all its a internet forum, lighten up right.. I have done so myself i must say, I know i am talking out my **** and derailing this dammed thread, :):( sorry
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Can't start a fire without a spark... guess I learned THAT the hard way :rolleyes:
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    I re-read the first post, no one actually ever wanted prices and comparisons did they, I think it said, why is all mini systems under 400 bucks ugly, Not where do i find a good one at a good price, sheesh and to think you all got in a argument over this...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by faster100
    I re-read the first post, no one actually ever wanted prices and comparisons did they, I think it said, why is all mini systems under 400 bucks ugly, Not where do i find a good one at a good price, sheesh and to think you all got in a argument over this...

Didn't rs159 say he was looking for something for his daughter or something?

Oh and Troy, get bent.

• TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Such hostility......tisk tisk tisk.....

Big Dumb (but VERY intimidated) Troy
  • TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Just an observation - most mini systems under $400 or so are butt ugly. They look like they were designed by ricers who want to take that "500 stickers, neon everywhere, and fake 2nd exhaust pipe" look into their homes. Is this supposed to be cool or something?

There is the original post, just in case you missed it.......

Just seemed to be a general comment about mini systems under 400 bones to me, but what do I know?

Hey, my back hurts from bending over, can I stand up now??

BDT;)
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Didn't rs159 say he was looking for something for his daughter or something?

Huh? When did I say that? I think I said something like "when I move the real system to the basement I will need something better than the tv speakers in the bedroom."
  • Jstas
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by rs159
    Whoa... this kinda grew to a size a didn't expect it to so I guess I should lay down some hard and fast rules for what I want.

1) Under ~300-400 dollars
    2) Not ugly (duh)
    3) Powerful sound. Must extend to ~50hz or lower, and can't skimp on maximum volume
    4) Clarity. Can't be muddy, but can't be bright. I like a slightly warm but not muffled sound.
    5) CDR/RW support.
    6) Can't be HUGE. Seperate components in the same system are acceptable, as long as they aren't as big as a sony megachanger
    7) Good remote. Should be able to control EVERYTHING on the system from the remote. Doesn't have to be universal, just not your typical ho-hum little remote that only controls the CD player.
    8) Expandability. If I don't like the speakers I should be able to change them and being able to hook up a sub wouldn't hurt. Need inputs for TV/VCR.
    9) MP3 support. I could burn off 50 CDs, but that's a pain in the ****.
    10) Dependability. Can't break in 3 years.
    11) Easy to get. Can't be some rare product you can only find as used and you have to really look for it.

What I don't care about:
    1) Infinity+1 capacity disc changer. Actually, I prefer one for reliability.
    2) (Multiple) Tape deck(s). Who cares? That's why I have a CD burner.
    3) Headphone jack quality. Who cares?
    4) FM reception. There's what? 2 "cultured" radio stations where I live. I don't need something that can pick up signals from outer space or anything.

What was this about then? Did I miss sarcasm again?

• faster100
    edited February 2003
    Nope that's what i thought, no mention of wanting a price sheet and contacts for a new mini system
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp