Difference in output between 10" and 12" sub?

96_SHO
96_SHO Posts: 3
edited November 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I just bought a MM2104DVC and am having second thoughts, wondering if the MM2124DVC would be a better choice for a single-sub system.

The guy I have making my box hasn't started yet so I still have time to change my mind. :)

The sub will be driven by a 360w RMS@2ohm amp. The 10" Momo is rated at 300/600 and the 12" at 400/800 so my amp is in the middle of the two.

This will be going in my '96 Ford Taurus SHO sedan, in a sealed box in the trunk. The cabin speakers are Infinity Reference 6x8 components up front and Reference 6x8 coaxials in the rear. I will be adding an amp to these as well - 60w x 4 RMS. My HU is currently the stock one but I will be using a Pioneer 5900IB to drive the new system once the rest of my parts arrive. (Upgrading the factory speakers helped quite a bit but I've decided to go a little further and build a modest system.)

I'm not wanting to be heard from blocks away, I just want some low end extension to enjoy my music.

Will the difference in cone area with the power I have available be noticable? If not I'll keep what I have but since the price difference between the two isn't very much I thought I'd ask. Finding a buyer for the 10" probably wouldn't be too hard - a friend of mine was eyeballing the box the other day after UPS dropped it off. :D

thanks,

Scott
Post edited by 96_SHO on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    for what u want, depending on listening styles, the 10" will give u the best overall sound quality, but the 12 will be louder... if it was me.. i would go 10" because i listen to a ton of diffrent music, from louis armstrong to freaking dr dre.... your 10" will hit HARD in a sealed box and sound great.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited November 2007
    if you got the space, i'd go with the 12 :)
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2007
    I listen to a very wide variety of music and am very happy with my 12" sub. If you have the space go with the 12, if space is an issue the 10 will sound fine.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    2 inches:D
    Welcome to Club Polk
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dstow13
    dstow13 Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    I have the Polk DB212-2 subs and a MTX 600 Watt Class D Mono Channel Amplifier for about 3 months now. My question is that could my amp be draining my car battery because it was fine at first(when i first bought it) but now my Jeep was turning really slow and now it doesn't even want to turn over. I haven't tried jumping it because it just wouldn't start today but later i will try to jump it. Could the shop that installed it, wired it up wrong because when my car sits(turned off) could it still be draining my battery slowly? I think I will remove the fuse and jump it, drive around for a while. Then i will cut the car off, let it sit for about 30 min. and try to start it again.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what I should do. That would be greatly appreciated.
  • 96_SHO
    edited November 2007
    So it's pretty much six on one hand, half a dozen on the other, eh?

I'll see if my friend wants to buy the 10. If not I'll keep it.

I can always upgrade with my tax refund next year if nothing else crops up before then that I need to spend money on. :)

thanks,

Scott
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    dstow13 wrote: »
    I have the Polk DB212-2 subs and a MTX 600 Watt Class D Mono Channel Amplifier for about 3 months now. My question is that could my amp be draining my car battery because it was fine at first(when i first bought it) but now my Jeep was turning really slow and now it doesn't even want to turn over. I haven't tried jumping it because it just wouldn't start today but later i will try to jump it. Could the shop that installed it, wired it up wrong because when my car sits(turned off) could it still be draining my battery slowly? I think I will remove the fuse and jump it, drive around for a while. Then i will cut the car off, let it sit for about 30 min. and try to start it again.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what I should do. That would be greatly appreciated.

unless your running your amps with the car off, the amp runs off the alternator, it shouldnt drain your battery. Is the amp staying on while the car is off?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • dstow13
    dstow13 Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    unless your running your amps with the car off, the amp runs off the alternator, it shouldnt drain your battery. Is the amp staying on while the car is off?

No I don't play the music when the car off. I tried to jump it and it did the same thing, so I am thinking it might be the starter that is bad. The car is a 1991 and has 197,000 miles on it. So it is getting up there. I was just wondering if that could be possible because when I went to Advanced Auto to get my battery checked out, the car started up fine for a while and then it started turning slower and slower until it did not turn at all.
  • 96_SHO
    edited November 2007
    No offense, but why did you hijack my thread with a totally different subject instead of starting one of your own? :P
  • eloplayspolo
    edited November 2007
    96_SHO wrote: »
    No offense, but why did you hijack my thread with a totally different subject instead of starting one of your own? :P

o dang
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • mirra540ryder
    mirra540ryder Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited November 2007
    its the diference between ooo! and AHHHHHH YEAH !!!!
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • mopar paul
    mopar paul Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    I have the same 10" sub run by an Alpine 400watt mono and it sounds great-very fast response and great for rock-haven't tried rap just yet and prob wont...
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited November 2007
    single sub go with the 12 then fill the upper bass with some 8s or 6 1/2 s. 10 will go almost as low but not quite at the levels you may want.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    you mean one 12 and one or two 8`s ?

I have two 10`s in my truck (stndard cab chevy truck), and I`m going to have a special box made to use my new SR12DVC...will I loose the Volume /sound/ tightness ?
    Will it be louder, or sound the same ?

I don`t mean to hijack your thread bro, I just figured this was kinda what you were talkin about also..

If not...my bad, carry on
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool: