PSW150 Rattle noise

Govnah
Govnah Posts: 12
I have two PSW150s and I have noticed that one of the subs has a terrrible rumbling/rattling noise. I would imagine that the woofer is shot, if so can you replace the woofer and from where and how much.

Thanks
Post edited by Govnah on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited February 2003
    Could be a shot woofer or the video shielding (if equipped) can start to give you problems. To check out the driver to see if it's blown, visually inspect it for damage (dead give-away) or lightly push down on the cone and listen for a scratching or rasping sound. Also check to make sure that the woofer has "spring back". If these check out good then chances are, there is something loose inside the sub, maybe a crossover or some wires rattling. Pop it open and check it out. If it really is the driver, give Polk Customer Service a call for help. If it's covered under their 5 year warranty, it' will cost you S&H to get the bad driver to them for replacement.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • jnersesian
    jnersesian Posts: 2
    edited February 2003
    I have exactly the same problem - a scratching sound from my PSW150. I assume it's a blown woofer. How do I get this replaced?
  • Govnah
    Govnah Posts: 12
    edited February 2003
    Call 1-888-267-5495 and ask for Omar. He initially wanted to charge me $140.00 and I said no thanks and decided to call back and ask for a lower price and he agreed and sold it to me at dealer cost, which was $70.00. P/N is MW1083. I also put in an Alpine type R driver that you would use for car audio and it worked fine, as a matter of fact I think it sounded much better, but decided to put the correct driver back in.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    dont the polk subs have a 5 year warentee?
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited February 2003
    If it's bought through an authorized retailer...should have 5 years on the sub and drivers and 3 years on the amp, however, we're talking vintage equipment circa 1997 so it may have expired by now.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....