Hsu Vtf-3...yikes!!!

Just wanted to share that I helped my friend set up his new HSU VTF-3 sub today...holy crap, the thing rips.
We gave that thing a workout today, never skipped a beat. Cranked the hell out of it and no distortion, very tight and smooth. Very nice for music, movies it just about shakes you off the couch. He has a fairly good sized room and half way on the volume was more than enough.
This just shows my inexpereiance with this stuff, but today was the first time I felt bass low enough that I could not hear. Neat stuff, watched U-571. Got to get me one of those.
Not the best looking thing in the world and it weighs a ton, my back still hurts. I could get over it I think.
Anybody else heard one of these???

-N
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    The HSU VTF-3 is a very well regarded sub - a real powerhouse with low distortion and deep extension. Welcome to the world of hi performance bass - it's addictive.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    No kidding Doc, I am already trying to figure out how I can buy one...you know selective bill paying...

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    The SVS PC+ line will outperform the VTF-3 for the same $$. Regardless, the VTF-3 is a no-lose proposition - you can't go wrong with it.

SVS
  • nellis8166
    edited February 2003
    Doc,
    I decided quite a while ago that a high quality sub would be my next upgrade. I have a Velo CHT10. It's ok, but nothing like I heard yesterday.
    Next time I am in Rochester, maybe we can hook up so you can demo your SVS for me???
    Are there any places in the area that carry SVS stuff???

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Beauty of SVS is it is direct from Manf ordering... a competitive cost advantage for them that benefits you as well.
    Here' the link:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/
    Not a dealer locator to be found here...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by nellis8166
    Doc,
    I decided quite a while ago that a high quality sub would be my next upgrade. I have a Velo CHT10. It's ok, but nothing like I heard yesterday.
    Next time I am in Rochester, maybe we can hook up so you can demo your SVS for me???
    Are there any places in the area that carry SVS stuff???

-N

Anytime, and tour2 is correct (thanks BET). Also, I'm told the two subs sound identical until high volumes, and then the SVS pulls away with a solid 4-5 dB advantage below 30 Hz at the extreme of the performance envelope.

SVS
  • nellis8166
    edited February 2003
    Doc,
    I was looking at the SVS website tonight(thanks Tour). What is the difference between the 39pc+ and the 46pc+??? From what I can make out the 46 goes a little bit lower and might be a little bit louder???
    Do you plug any of the ports on yours??? Is there any loss in volume that you notice??? Really like what I have read about the SVS line, I'm dying to hear one before I make the plunge. Might have to think up an excuse to come to Rochester in the next month or so. Tax returns are coming soon...woohoo!!! Thanks for all your help Doc.
    How about this heat wave we are having??? Almost made it to 40 today, time to break out the shorts and tank tops!!!
    -N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Loud, Louder, Loudest: 16-46, 20-39, 25-31
    Deep, deeper, deepest: 25-31, 20-39, 16-46

The 25-31 plays the loudest, but only digs to 25 Hz.

The 16-46 doesn't play quite as loud overall, but digs the deepest, to 16 Hz.

The 20-39 splits the difference between the two sizes. It's tuned to 20 Hz and is louder than the 16-46, but not quite as loud as the 25-31.

My in room F3 is 17 Hz with all ports open. With a port plugged, the FR is flat to 11 Hz. This is better than SVS claims, and is no doubt the result of fortuitous room gain.

My normal mode is all ports open with SS filter set to 20 Hz. I occasionally plug a port and drop the SS filter to 16 or even 12 if I feel the source material warrants it.

Yes, there is a loss in volume with a port plugged - about 1.5 dB. You can add it back in by upping the sub volume.

The ultimate SPL the sub is capable of is definitely limited by plugging a port - probably by a few dB.

SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Dr. which give you deepest sound on a sub, ports open or ports closed?

thanks
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    My sub has three 3" flared ports.

With all three ports open, it is tuned to 20 Hz.

If you plug a port, it lowers the tune to 16 Hz.

If you plug two ports, it lowers the tune to 12 Hz.

The above numbers are for a quasi-anechoic chamber which does not account for room gain. In the real world, room gain typically yields an extension of the anechoic tune point by around 4 Hz.

SVS
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    If you can tune yours to 12 Hz, why would people get the 16-46?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    If you can tune yours to 12 Hz, why would people get the 16-46?

By virtue of its larger enclosure, the 16-46 is tuned to 16 Hz with all three ports open. It is therefore capable of more output in the 16-20 Hz range than a 20-39 with one port plugged.

A 20-39 with one port plugged can do a pretty good imitation of a 16-46 with all three ports open - at moderate volume levels. When you really start pushing them hard, the 16-46 w/3 ports open will walk away from the 20-39 w/2 ports open at anything below 20 Hz.

Variable tuning is nice, but it clearly involves a compromise. It is best to determine up front what you want from a subwoofer, and pick the size and tuning point that best fits your needs and plan on running it in that stock configuration most of the time.

SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    where is the human ear no longer able to hear sound below? it's something like 20Hz to 16Hz if you are really lucky. why then a sub that can go down to 12Hz. ?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Many DVD's have significant signal content in the 15-20 Hz range. A few go even lower. Subsonic bass that cannot be heard but can still be felt is pretty remarkable and definitely enhances the experience.

Even if you cut a sub off sharply at 19 Hz (which is where I admittedly run mine most of the time), there are very few subs capable of a flat, linear output to 20 Hz at high volumes. There is literally another dimension of sound below 30 Hz that most people have never heard properly reproduced.

The truth is the vast majority of subs on the market struggle to reproduce even 30 Hz cleanly, much less 20 Hz. When you hear it done right, you will quickly find there is no acceptable substitute.

Just ask Ron-P his impressions after he ported his Tempest and dropped his F3 from 37 Hz to below 20 Hz.

SVS
  • GregE
    GregE Posts: 8
    edited March 2003
    I just purchased LSi15's and also the PSW650, the sub is on backorder from Crutchfield so haven't received it yet. After reading this thread I'm tempted to cancel it and get either the Hsu VTF-3 which is currently on sale for $764, or maybe one of the PC plus from SVS. Can anyone tell me how the Polk compares to the other subs? Thanks!
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by GregE
    I just purchased LSi15's and also the PSW650, the sub is on backorder from Crutchfield so haven't received it yet. After reading this thread I'm tempted to cancel it and get either the Hsu VTF-3 which is currently on sale for $764, or maybe one of the PC plus from SVS. Can anyone tell me how the Polk compares to the other subs? Thanks!

It doesn't compare - if you can cancel the order now do it. Believe me - spend the extra scratch - you will not regret it.

The VTF-3 is an excellent subwoofer but there is a reason HSU is now selling it for $760 - because it cannot compete with the 20-39PC+ at its regular $850 price.

Either one will be head and shoulders over the 650, but my feet are firmly planted in the SVS camp as the better and more flexible performer of the two.

SVS
  • GregE
    edited March 2003
    Thanks Doc, I think I am going to go with the SVS PC+ 20-39.

Greg
  • GregE
    edited March 2003
    Dr. Spec,

Could you give me an idea of how heavy the PC+ 20-39 is? I ask because I am moving in 3 months, the smart thing would be to wait to get the sub after I move, but if it doesn't weigh a ton I would like to get it now. I didn't see any info about this at the SVS website. Thanks again.

Greg
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Dr. Spec,

Could you give me an idea of how heavy the PC+ 20-39 is? I ask because I am moving in 3 months, the smart thing would be to wait to get the sub after I move, but if it doesn't weigh a ton I would like to get it now. I didn't see any info about this at the SVS website. Thanks again.

Greg

It's about 70 pounds. It's easy to move though because the tube is big and the baseplate is strong and you can cradle the tube in one arm and grip the baseplate in the other.

Keep your ogiginal box and just plop it back into there where you have to move it.

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Can anyone tell me how the Polk compares to the other subs? Thanks!

See my post over in the Speakers section under HBombs "My SV Experience" thread.

There is a hotlink showing the performance of the PSW650 relative to the original 20-39CS.

If you get a PC+, you can expect upwards of 20 dB more output at 25 Hz than a PSW650 is capable of.

If you get one - tell 'em Ed (Dr. Spec) Mullen referred you - they really appreciate referrals from existing customers. No, I don't get a commission, either - just satisfaction about getting another great sub out in the marketplace.

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    In case you still had any lingering doubts, this was lifted from Home Theater Forum - a comment from one Mike Sloan - known bass head.

"I have dual VTF-3's and am completely satisfied...a matter of fact, they exceed my expectations on a daily basis. That being said....I have had the opportunity to hear both the 25-31PC+ and the 20-39PC+ over an extended period of time and must say that the 20-39 (in particular) exceeds the performance of the VTF-3 in both Film content...and more surprisingly...music??!! I think HSU should beef up the VTF-3 if they want to stay competitive. They have made a few changes to the amp...but the changes are more to improve longevity than performance. I thought I would pass this along...as long as we are having an SVS love-fest....now can we get back to comparing the B4+ to the EVEREST...just kidding."

Doc

SVS
  • GregE
    edited March 2003
    OK I am definitely getting the PC+ 20-39 at this point, thanks for all the info, I'm really glad I saw this thread. I think I am going to wait until after I move though, late May/early June, and make my life easier. I will have a room for HT in my new house, not really set up for it now in my apt. and have to be careful of the volume levels.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited March 2003
    Greg, you'll be very glad you made the switch. I had the 650 and it just wasn't doing it for me with home theater, as far as output. I'm so much happier with the 20-39pci I have now, so I'm sure you'll be ecstatic with the + line. Congrats!