Humjob when hooking up 2nd sub

Jeffw69
Jeffw69 Posts: 11
When hooking up psw250 as second sub, I want to have it slightly behind my couch. After daisy chaining off of the 1st one, which is up front by the monitor, I run an AR 25ft. omnidirectional subwoofer cable to the rear(about 10 ft.)
The problemo is that this loud HUM begins when I plug it all in.
I initially thought electrical outlet, so I moved it to another spot & other outlet-still humming.
I tried hooking up the sub up front on the other side of the other one, using a shorter patch cable and NO hum.
Has anyone had problems with running there subs over some length of distance?
Also, I thought that the AR sub cable was pretty decent,
could it be that I need to dump a lot of money& how much? into better sub cable?

Thanks
Post edited by Jeffw69 on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Have you tried the cheater plug, Jeff? Ratshack $2 solution that normally work with sub hum problem.....(In case, cheater plug is the ground-bypass adapter plug)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Jeffw69
    edited February 2003
    I will stop by there tonight,
    Thanks
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Jeffw69,
    i have not had this problem. but it appears that your sub cable is to blame.. a hum sometimes can come from a power cord. is your sub cable laying next to or on top of a power cord by chance? sounds like if you replace your sub cable.. it should solve the problem. I would say that you should not have to sink in $$ just to solve the problem. How far away is your sub from the receiver?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Jeffw69
    edited February 2003
    No, I made sure that I was clear of all power cords and I'm pretty sure that there are no other electrical interference problems that I am aware of. The sub that I would like to have towards the rear of the room is approx. 10 ft. from the receiver. The first sub, on the right side of the monitor is about 2.5 ft. from the receiver.
    I just may have to chuck out that AR cable and get some certified Monster.
  • polkatese
    edited February 2003
    Jeff,
    before you run out to get a different cable, make sure that your AR cable is the culprit. I ran almost exactly the same thing about a year ago, and replaced the cable, to no avail. Do you hear the hum when the receiver is off? symptom was on mine, hum is still there even if the receiver power is off, and sub is on. But if I pulled out the rca cable to the sub, hum dissapeared.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Jeffw69
    edited February 2003
    actually, in some instances, when I power off the receiver, the hum becomes very loud. Other times, the hum is not noticeable when the receiver is on. It appears that using the 'auto-on' the light turns green as if it is receiving feedback or something even when receiver is off. When I power off the sub, the hum is less.
    who knows??
  • polkatese
    edited February 2003
    what if you remove the sub cable from the sub, and the sub plugged into the wall outlet, do you hear hum?
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    the cabble could have a short in it. or you can be getting interfearance from powerlines. i have my sub cabbles about 40 ft and it is fine. try getting a y spliter and using that. dr spec recomends it. i had a hookup like yours and i did get a hum but i got rid of it by upping the sigonal strenth and turning down the gain on the subs.
  • Jeffw69
    edited February 2003
    Thanks everyone, I will need to do some shopping tonight.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    I wish all I had to do for a hum job was to get two subs. :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    No joke, I could use a humjob right now.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    No joke, I could use a humjob right now.

I just got one.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Yeah, but you were set to *small*, nothing but *large* here.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    :lol::lol: 2 for phuz
    :lol: 1 for Russ
    :lol: 1 for Doc
    :lol: 1 for Russ, again
    ...and kuddos to all for the self control to allow the thread to produce a satisfied customer before taking it in the direction it was beggin' to go...
    Me? I just did not see, it until now... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Jeffw69
    edited February 2003
    Thanks All, I wanted to let you know that with the combined effort of Monster Cable and George Lucas' THX Certified Sub cable, which I purchased last night, the HUM has been relieved.
    So, I guess you can say, ol' George takes care of the hum!
  • polkatese
    edited February 2003
    Jeff,
    glad to hear you solved it...do you want to close the incident ticket #? just in case, if you need to call us in the future, your call number is 0069..lol
  • Jeffw69
    edited February 2003
    Yes, all is well. Thanks