Here's what's eating at me . . .

Options
ncstatesman
ncstatesman Posts: 145
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
I'm a newbie to HT and I finally finished setting up my new HT system - an Onkyo 898 w/RM7600 & PSW650 sub. As recommended, I ran my Front L/R spkr wires from the rcvr to the 650 and from the 650 to the L&R fronts spkrs with the correct settings on the fronts ('large'), Sub (no), etc, etc. I also used 12awg for everything. Then, armed with an SPL meter, I went through the Onkyo calibration process and everything sounds great.

Between the 650 sub and the 898 rcvr there are countless settings and combinations there of . . . . .so here's my obsession . . TO KNOW THAT I'M GETTING THE BEST POSSBLE SOUND FROM MY SYSTEM!!! I guess that's have the fun. I'm going to start playing with the Avia calibration DVD to help me out.

Just wanted to share that with others and see what comments or suggestions I'd get
Post edited by ncstatesman on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Options
    This is our constant bane, eh?

AVIA will help, but sooner or later you're just going to have to chain yourself to your HT couch and decide that YES, I AM GETTING THE BEST POSSIBLE SOUND I CAN GET. Otherwise (like many of us) you'll be all fidgety thru movies and stuff thinking more about how the sound is than about the movie experience itself. Plus, you'll peeve everyone else off if you're up and jumping around resetting things and adjusting levels and stuff all thru movies.

If you have the wires running to the right places, and you have the basic settings set on the receiver -- the listening position timings and the bass management issues all settled -- and you do your little SPL calibration with the test tones, and you calibrate your TV with the AVIA... And it looks and sounds okay to you, you should be fine. FINE, I SAY!

Still...

ARG. I am empathizing. (As I'm sure we all are.)

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    you'll second guess yourself and the way it's wired, and try something new, spend hours getting that right, and then, about 15 movies later, you'll realized you liked it the first way better. just the way it goes....

there should be a medical term for us with the illness of apprehensive bass management:)
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited November 2001
    Options
    and if that's not all, now there's THX Ultra 2

. . . actually, enough is enough and I'm not going to worry about the latest new features that come out . . . I hope
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    my advice, for what it is worth, is to not worry so much as conforming to THX or what ever, find what sounds best to you and go with it....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Yeah, what Troy said.

Half the fun of this hobby is tweaking, changing, rearranging, moving, tinkering and altering your rig, gear, wire, speakers....whatever.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited November 2001
    Options
    i wonder if there would be a way of getting a clinical diagnosis and be able to get out of work and get paid, it is kinda like a disability...

i totataly agree with micah you just have to accept your ht at some point and give your friends & familiy a break and yourself
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    the only thing that irks me is all the friggin wires and cables. What a pain in the a$$ that is.....I use zip ties to make the wires look neat etc but if you move something you have to do all that again. That drives me crazy....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut