Just ordered from Columbia House

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited November 2001 in Music & Movies
Ordered:

1. Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (Coll. Ed.)
2. Braveheart
3. Dogma (Spec. Ed.)
4. Titanic
5. Blade

All for a total of $28.94 (shipping and tax inc.)

All I need to do is order 2 more. Say 2 more at $19.99ea add shipping and tax for a total of $48.80.

A grand total of $77.74 / 7 = $11.11 per DVD. Can't beat that!

This is my second membership with them. First time was great. All the above titles I want, but they are hard to find under $20. Cannot wait for delivery.

Peace Out~:D

OK Micah, you can start the bashing
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    I wouldn't bash you Ron.

TITANIC did really really suck, tho. Why you'd want to own it is beyond me. And I never figured out what made DOGMA so funny. In fact, I found it to be dull and amatuerish. I much prefer Kevin Smith's CHASING AMY, which I believe is his best, deepest, most-well-done (mature) filmmaking effort.

Other than that, BLADE is a very cool DVD. It goes limp in the last 30 minutes, but the story is cool and the look is total BATMAN -- If Tim Burton was smart this is what BATMAN should have looked like. Plus, it has TRACI LORDS covered in blood.

And both the other DVDs are good stuff -- if not great films then at least good movies presented well on DVD. Worth having, I guess. CEOT3K is a really great DVD, it's almost enough to make you like the film.

I was thinking of rejoining Columbia House or BMG to get back the CDs stolen in my car... But I have a used CD/DVD place here that is a better deal, so I'm going to have to suck it up and just buy all new stuff. (I get CDs for about $8 and DVDs for no more than $15 each.)

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    columbia house is great. i just finished up my 8th membership. ron, i have some codes that get them down to under $10 a disc, so let me know if you are going to sign up a third time.
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    TITANIC did really really suck, tho. Why you'd want to own it is beyond me

Micah, I am surprised at you.....Kate topless????? All in all I enjoyed the film and for $11.00, I'll buy it.

Dogma, I thought was great, very funny. Didn't care for all the over-the-top blood, but hey.

Blade, yes it is cool and yes the ending did fall-flat, but it's the rest of the film I like.

All movies I like, none I'd want to pay B&M prices for.

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    I'll take you up on that offer juice. My parents live a couple miles away. Makes for a great second name and shipping address.

Thanks,

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    here's to make the deal even better. when it asks for a promotinoal code at the beginning of the site, enter: 7CY

here's what you'll get: 5 selections for .49 cents, take a 6th for $14.95. commiment is only 2, which brings your total to 8 DVD's for $9.28 each. the only thing you need at check out will be a PSN (personal security code), this is just a previous memebership #. so, when you close your current account, write down your membership #, and save it to use when opening your new account. this is not good for first time customers, as they WILL check it out to see if you are returning. they send out a mailer to get you back, and this is the offer they give you. i got this from a friend, and used my old account number and it worked!!!

for you first time columbiahouser's, here's another code that works well without the PSN. promotional code 47B. this gets you 4 for .49, take a 5th for $9.95, commiment again is only 2. total savings, 7 new dvd's for your collection at only $9.53 a peice. enjoy
    :D

thanks to todd b. @ dvdtalk for the second code.
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    SssssssssWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Thanks Juice

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    .....Kate topless?????

Yeah, well... She's just this side of being a pee-eye-gee. I'm all for curvey, but she's a little too... Zaftig. I heard she looked better in HOLY SMOKE, but when I rented the disc it locked up my Panny. Plus, I can't get over the **** filmmaking in TITANIC; the blatantly stolen Ridley-Scottisms, and the cheesey lifted BLADE RUNNER dialogue. Cameron didn't work hard enough for me. And CGI is cheating.

I sat thru the darned thing at The Senator Theater here when it played, and the friend I saw it with asked, during the scenes where people were jumping from the ship into the water, "How come they're jumping off the boat, why don't they just wait to get closer to the water?" And I was like, "Because they desperately want to get out of this movie."

Find a used CD/DVD B&M near you -- there must be one. You'll find some cool deals there.

Cool Columbia House codes. You guys rock!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    You can't beat BMG's initial deal of 12 CD's for the price of one. I don't feel like going through the math, but it works out to be pretty darn cheap. Even when I purchase CD's from them on their regular deals I always pay less than $8 per CD. So, uh, if you want to sign up (wink wink, nudge nudge) feel free to do it through me so I can get some free ones (CD's, that is). :D

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    I've been in BMG before, because they have a very extensive CLASSICAL music selection. But both Columbia House and BMG do not have the popular CDs I need. Did you know that neither club has LED ZEPPELIN?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Ok...Twist my arm...This is what I picked out...

Blade
    Seven Platinum Series
    From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money
    (only got this one cause Bruce Campbell was in it so it can't be that bad)
    From Dusk Till Dawn Collector's Series
    Enemy At The Gates
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    seven platinum series is packed with good stuff. the alternate ending story board is very interesting, although it would have really changed the movie. enemy at the gates is a great dvd too, i just rented it last month, still have to buy it. did you use the code?
  • jdelan
    edited November 2001
    Yup...used the Code...All 5 for $21...Now just need to buy 2 more in 2 years...

Anyone suggest any good War Movies...I wanted Tora, Tora, Tora but they did not have it...
  • jdelan
    edited November 2001
    Yeah, so did mine, BUT they let me have them anyway...Not sure if they will change it. If they do then I might not do it cause There was not much there I wanted...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    Anyone suggest any good War Movies...[/B]

do you own apocalypse now? that is a great war movie!
  • jdelan
    edited November 2001
    Already got Apocolypse Now...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    but, just a few more good war movies:

platoon
    bridge over the river kwai
    full metal jacket
    das boot
    saving private ryan
    rules of engagement (war related, mostly in the courtroom)- opening scene vietnam flashback has incredible use of 5.1 soundtrack. they are ambushed by VC and when retreating you can hear each group moving out in a differnet direction, very impressive.

just a couple off the top of my head, if you haven't seem one or any, i recommend at least seeing all, if not owning them
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2001
    I am a sucker too, just ordered these

Heavy Metal Collector's Series
    Dogma
    Tombstone
    National Lampoon's Animal House
    The Patriot

All for $ 21.86

Also Ron-P and everyone, if you really dig this deal and want more just use your work address.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Noooooooooo.........

From The Digital Bits:

Tombstone: Director's Cut - Vista Series DVD - a title I've been looking forward to for a very long time! The title streets on January 15th, 2002, for an SRP of $29.99. The 2-disc set (yep - 2-discs) will include a new anamorphic widescreen transfer of the film, audio in Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1, THX-certification, 3 production featurettes (An Ensemble Cast, Making an Authentic Western and The Gunfight at the O.K. Coral), audio commentary by director George Cosmatos, a Tombstone Timeline, the Tombstone Epitaph, the director's original storyboards for the O.K. Coral sequence, a collectible Tombstone map and the Faro at the Oriental DVD-ROM game.

Wait for this Tombstone.

If...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    yet another disc i am going to have to re-buy!!!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Did you know that neither club has LED ZEPPELIN?
    Did you know that you're totally wrong? Check again, tough guy! :p

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    I couldn't resist (and I had to let Wendi collaborate on the picks) so this is what I ordered:

Saving Private Ryan
    Cider House Rules
    Animal House
    The Hunt for Red October
    Casablanca

Not my exact wish list but with the exception of CHR, ones that I like but probably wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdelan
    edited November 2001
    Cider House Rules....Mmmmm...Charlize Theron....Mmmmmmm....
    *blink*
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    if she doesn't get nekkid, I still don't care.

Troy
  • jdelan
    edited November 2001
    well, she is naked but all you see is her from the back...But GOD does she look good that way...Especially when she throws her head back and looks at you from behind...OYE!
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    No, serious. Both Columbia House and BMG websites list LED ZEPPELIN as something "not offered at this time." (BMG has them listed as "Members only" or something.) Screw that. I can get them used on the cheap. The only ZEPP that was stolen from my car was (of course the most important one) PRESENCE. All the other stuff is either such regular stuff (just some CDs that I can cheaply replace used) or hard to find import stuff (DAMN IT!) that the clubs don't carry and I'll have to order from CDNOW or something.

Buying CDs used leaves more money for tattoos.

You guys should all be sure to check out thedigitalbits.com recent RUMOR MILL column (it's listed on the home page) which contains a HUGE list of upcoming DVD releases studio by studio... We'll all be buying a lot of things twice according to this list. Good news is upcoming (next year or so) releases of improved anamorphic print special editions of stuff like HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER and GOODFELLAS. It's a huge list. Consult it before buying.

Make sure you're getting the right versions of stuff like BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI and ANIMAL HOUSE and PLATOON. I'd go for the 2-disc set of BRIDGE, and make sure you get the CE editions of ANIMAL HOUSE and PLATOON, they have better prints of the films and cool documentary features.

This kind of multiple version game really gets me pissed off sometimes. I hate the fact that I have to keep re-buying these things. Do as much research as possible into the versions before you buy DVDs these days.

I think APOCALYPSE NOW: REDUX just came out last week, so you have that choice to make, too. (And the old version will prolly go OOP soon.)

Decisions decisions.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2001
    F#%* F#%* F#%* F#%* F#%* F#%* F#%* and double F#%*

Man how many times are they gonna have two releases of these DVD's..
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jdelan
    edited November 2001
    As many times as people keep buying them...
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    we are those people...
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    That's ok, Charlize gets nekkid in Devil's Advocate. That was a good movie for gratuitous nudity...

Animal House I believe is the CE...You know, it really pisses me off with all the re-releases. You have collector's editions, platinum editions blah, blah, blah. Release the friggin movie and be done with it. I have got better things to blow money on than the same movie twice.

For the record, I have never and will never buy a movie more than once. Except for replacing VHS tapes with DVD. That doesn't count.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    It sucks, but all you can do is do as much research and review reading as you can do before you buy any DVD.

It pisses me off to no end.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com