Pioneer vs. Denon

Options
sterling bug
sterling bug Posts: 228
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Started doing some research on progressive scan DVD players as I am looking to upgrade sometime in the near future. The Pioneer Elite DV45A and the Denon DVD1600 are the ones I was looking at and both seem like very good players. They were both $499.99 which may be a little pricey for us at the moment. Anybody with advice with other brands that they would recommend are also welcomed.

My Setup:

TV: Mits 48" 16:9 Fronts: Polk R50 Center: CSI20 Sub: Polk PSW250 Surrounds: Bose Model 21 Receiver: Kenwood VR309
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-414
Post edited by sterling bug on

Comments

• sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Pioneer and Denon out of the picture for the immediate future. Spent $100 at the vet. today with the possibility of spending more down the road. Oh well, thats life.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'm not putting Denon down at all bcause from what I have read they do a reaally ggod job. BUT... a universal dvd player will keep you busy for a long time. I'm gooing for the 45 or 47 within the next month. I have approval through the WAF process that I'm also buying a new sub.
    There goes the 1/2 the 1st quarter bunus!!!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sterling,
    Sorry to hear about the vet trip. Good luck with your pet.

You might want to check out Hometheaterforum.com for lots of information on DVD players. If you're primarily going for picture quality, you may still be able to pick up a Panasonic CP-72 somewhere for around $200 or less. Uses the same decoder as the Denon 1600 model. Does DVD-Audio but not SACD. I'd recommend a separate SACD player rather than a universal machine anyway.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I guess you have to add a switch to handle bass management with 2 machines?

just curious

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hi HBomb,
    Yes, bass management is a very real concern for most people, especially for anyone without full range speakers in each corner, so a universal player is appealing in that respect. Bass management is something the manufacturers really have to work on, but it is expensive and not very well done in most universal machines I've read about so far. The rudimentary bass management in my Toshiba and Sony and the full range speakers I use (except for center) for SACD and DVD-A help avoid bass management problems. I haven't bought one of the Outlaw ICBMs and use the two-switch box method from Radio Shack for DVD-A and SACD into one set of analog inputs. Funny thing is, I don't tend to like the few SACDs I have when I play them in multichannel mode, and prefer them in two channel mode, but prefer the DVD-A in multichannel mode. The mixes seem to be better done for DVD-A right now for multichannel releases.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Ok...........2 questions....

Bass management isn't handled through the receiver or pre/pro with use of the DVD-A or SACD players?

Any imparticular reason that you recommend a seperate SACD player from the others vs. a seperate DVD-A player from the others? (hope that made sense)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.