rm6200 and psw303

larrykwiat
larrykwiat Posts: 44
I ordered a rm6200 and a psw350 from j&r. They called me back and said the psw350 which was priced at 149 was out of stock. They said I could get a psw303 for 200. was this a good deal to get the psw303? In addition could someone tell me if I did the right thing by matching this stuff with a yamaha htr-5560. I am new at this and have a 15 by 15 room but just want this stuff for home theater. In addition could someone tell me about this 3db and -3db stuff. signed Obviously incompetent...
Post edited by larrykwiat on

Comments

• Sumflow
    Sumflow Posts: 64
    edited February 2003
    Yes awesome the 303 are a new generation Sub. Noticeably better sound. I heard them against each other at CC. The 303 have easier hook-up. You are going to love these speakers.
    In addition could someone tell me about this 3db and -3db stuff?
    Don’t ask these guys. They tell you they already answered that question and expect you to read all of their bull to find the answer.

To quote from my odyssey "Resist all temptation to use the subwoofer output jack-please!"Keep the LFE volume at the receiver at a little less than the midpoint of the adjustment range. The reason you do this is to keep the tiny sub out pre-amp from clipping its signal and sending a distorted signal to the sub. … It’s best to give the pre-amp a lot of voltage headroom and increase bass volume at the sub, not the receiver.

In addition could someone tell me if I did the right thing by matching this stuff with a Yamaha?

I’ve had Yamaha I hear they are real good at reproducing Japanese Violin’s sound. "The Red Violin," is probably optimized for Yamaha.
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Sumflow
    Don’t ask these guys. They tell you they already answered that question and expect you to read all of their bull to find the answer.

Now that's not true, you're not presenting the whole story. You asked the same questions over and over and over again, then refused to accept (or couldn't understand) the answers that were offered. It was suggested that you use the search feature as a means to assist you with your questions, because there is alot of good info buried in here. There are great folks here that are more than willing to help. I suggest to you that your problem here is not of our making, it is yours.
    Since you're feeling that all we post is bull, please, by all means feel free to take your odyssey elsewhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    The +/- 3dB thing is the way frequency response of a speaker is rated. It implies the speaker FR curve will stay relatively flat (in an anechoic chamber) over its stated range, with no peaks or dips large than 3 dB in magnitude.

The FR rating for the RTi70 is 40-26,000 Hz, +/- 3dB.

At the low end, speakers begin to trail off and the bass will get progressively weaker. So sometimes you will see an "overall" FR rating, which is usually a concession to the bass roll-off and can be assumed to be -10 dB at that point.

To build on the example:

RTi70

40-26,000 Hz, +/- 3dB

28-27,000 Hz overall

So the RTi-70 is -10 dB at 28 Hz.

A 10 dB reduction in volume is perceived to be half as loud. Conversely a 10 dB increase in volume is perceived to be twice as loud.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Sumflow
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut
    there is alot of good info buried in here.
    Buried is the key word here. Look this guy asked this perfectly reasonable question last month. How come he did not get an audience with your highness until now?

It is easier for a novice to set up Windows than it is to hook up a few Polk speakers.
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    I think you are walking on thin ice here, Sumflow.

You are averaging less than one post per day, and you only have 43 posts to your credit.

Yet you seem to now have at least a fundamental understanding of the various aspects of bass management, and I don't see you jumping in here trying to help all the newbies by passing on what you have learned.

If you screw up and give bad advice, then someone will correct you, but why don't you give steady posting of advice a try for a year or two and see how it feels before you criticize Shack and his 1300+ posts, OK?

There is such a thing as forum burn out and we all experience it to some degree or another and its easy to sit back and read someone else's post in 15 seconds but understand it may have taken them 15 minutes to type it.

No one here is under any obligation, real or imagined, to help out newbies. We do it out of the goodness of our hearts and out of a mutual love for our hobby. Sometimes a long standing forum member might take a hiatus from the forum for weeks or even months and no one holds it against him.

If you want to see newbies getting help faster, become part of the solution and stop being part of the problem.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    become part of the solution and stop being part of the problem.

I agree!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Sumflow
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack I agree!
    Please accept my apology shack ..

Enzo Ferrari
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    LOL....I think the good Doctor meant to say F1 instead of shack, but no matter. Let's just move on.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sumflow
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut I think the good Doctor meant
    The day you can speak for the Doc ... Please accept my apology again SHACK ..

Enzo Ferrari
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Sumflow,

Congrats, you've just been added to my BOZO filter list.

BTW, about your sig......you're definitely in the dumb group!

President of Club Polk