Choice......Pre Amps?

Options
SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Rotel RC 1070 vs Rotel RC 972? is there any big differences between the two pre's? quality, reliability, sound? I know the RC 1070 is the latest model but is it worth saving the money to purchase the older model?

I called my local rotel dealer today to get some prices for the pre's
RC 1070 749.99 cdn$ and the RC 972 499.99$.....he really wanted me to go down to his store to give me some deals but I said, I'll get back to him later. He also said he had the RB 1090 AMP for 2999.99 but if I went there he would give me a better deal. (sorry, it's still out of my ball park)

Also, would anyone know how the processor in the ANTHEM TLP1 stacks up to the Rotels....1070/972?. better/equal/worst?

It's too bad one audio store could not carry all the product (brands) that I'm interested in.....it sure would make life much more easier and I can demo all the different pre/amps side by side instead of going to different dealers in different sound enviroments.

I'm haven't made up my mind quite yet.....I still require a lot more inputs before I start throwing my hard earned money around.

thanks,
dc.:confused:
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have never heard an Anthem but what I have read their prepro is OUTSTANDING. So far I am happy with my h/k and don't have the desire to upgrade yet but if I ever do upgrade I'll probably lean toward the Anthem prepro.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2003
    Options
    H, thanks!

I also have a HK receiver for my HT set-up...... I'm very happy with it !

now I'm after separates for my new 2ch set-up!

I'm presently in limbo land!

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by SPEAKER7
    H, thanks!

I also have a HK receiver for my HT set-up...... I'm very happy with it !
    now I'm after separates for my new 2ch set-up!
    I'm presently in limbo land!

I'm also am looking at 2 channel and am in overload. I really want to get into Vinal so I'm going to start there and work to figure out what pre then amp then speakers will match to my bank and taste. Its really tough when your undecided/inexperienced about how to get where you want to be.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • SPEAKER7
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I get a lot of good help/advice on this board.....Mantis, Russman,Troy,Scottvamp,........and even Aaron who has been busy lately and many others on this board....They all have given me lots of good insight from their own experiences with similar products and write ups.

I'm definitely not a pro in the 2ch (audiophile world) this will be my first shot at it and I hope everthing works out because I'm not planning to upgrade (electronics) for a long while but I will have to make the right step in getting there.......I have to pick out the right equipment that is reliable,great sounding, and will be content. So I hope to get more feed back bias or not......it will still give me some ideas of what is good out there.

Good luck to you on your 2ch music system!

dc.:D
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have an Anthem PRE 2L Special Edition tube preamp. Great sounding without that euphonic (tubey) sound. My best friend had the Rotel RC 1090 preamp, very versatile, lots of connections and built-in phono stage. He moved up to a Conrad Johnson DV10 tube preamp. Seems once you gets into 2 channel, tubes are the next adventure.
    Good luck on putting together your 2 channel system.