Subwoofer hook-up “The Polk Club Way!”

Sumflow
Sumflow Posts: 64
How to install your subwoofer the "Club Polk Way!"

>I have the system set-up per
Polks recommendation of running the front left and right through the sub. On the receiver sub is off,<

“This may be Polk's way, but it is not the
"Club Polk Way," which is use LFE if available, cross over around 80 Hz, all speakers to small, etc.”

“No one here much likes the
speaker level connection to the sub.”

“In the future, you may want,
to set all your speaks to
small,
set your crossover filter
(on the Amp),
set your sub to
yes/on,
and run a sub cable from the
sub-out jack
to the
LFE (unfiltered) input on the (Sub).”

If anyone at Polk has been monitoring
"The Polk Club,". Please tell your Boss!
-ooO-(GoldTrader)-Ooo-
"At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
Post edited by Sumflow on

Comments

• ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited February 2003
    If you have an "LFE" input on your sub....you won't miss anything. I have the PSW 250 which doesn't have that feature and I tried both ways and found the sub line input to be a little "tighter" than via speaker level. I found elevating my subwoofer from the ground helped a lot too. There isn't a right and wrong way, just what sounds best for you.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Sumflow

if anyone at Polk has been monitoring
    "The Polk Club,". Please tell your Boss!

Yeah! Maybe Matt and all of those EE he hires could learn a few things! :rolleyes:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Sumflow - I usually recommend 80 Hz as the filter point if all the speaks are capable of digging that low with authority. That's why I use large speakers in my system all around - all of them are rated to 50 Hz or lower and have no trouble with an 80 Hz filter point even at high volumes.

But with small sats, 100 or even 120 Hz works better since the smallest sats are simply incapable of room filling volume at 80 Hz. You may get some localization of the sub at 100 or 120 Hz and male voices may sound disembodied, but that is a problem with small sats regardless of the connection method. It is simply a function of the limitation of a small sat speaker.

That is probably one of the reasons Polk still recommends speaker level connections to the sub for their sat systems - because the sub has a variable filter range and some AV receivers do not and are fixed at 100 or even 80. If the AVR has user adjustable filter points, then it's just one more reason to use it instead of a speaker level connection for your bass filtering.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    Sumflow,
    How many times are you going to babble on about this???...enough man...

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by nellis8166
    Sumflow,
    How many times are you going to babble on about this???...enough man...
    Regards,
    Nat
    Ya - he got Dr. Spec to waste his time again. This is about the 6th time Sumflow has brought this up.:rolleyes:
  • JSK2003
    JSK2003 Posts: 28
    edited February 2003
    I found the LFE method to be better for my tastes. Though I now believe that satisfaction with the LFE / sub out connection is partially dependant on what receiver/pre-pro you have.

My neighbors Yamaha sounds horrible with my PSW-550 connected to the sub out but great using the "Polk Recommended Method". OTOH my Denon sounds better using the sub out. Just took some tweaking. :)

-JSK
    My setup :

Anthem AVM20
    ATI-1505
    Sony DVP-NC650V 5-disc DVD/SACD
    Microsoft XBox
    Polk RM-7200 Theater System
    Polk PSW-550 Subwoofer
    Bettercables Silver Serpent interconnects
    Monster Cable speaker wire
    56" Panasonic HDTV
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    I think Dr.spec was clear and right to the point.And it will keep coming up scott........thats just what goes on.....it's all good.

I like reading what the Doc writes anyways, so I say" ask away".
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nellis8166
    edited February 2003
    You missed the point Mantis, I think it is great that new people ask all the questions they want, hell I am new myself for the most part. I think this forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have learned more here in three months than I ever could have imagined.
    When the same person asks the same question half a dozen times and puts everybody here down because he doesn't like the answers he got, thats just stupid IMO.
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Sumflow
    Sumflow Posts: 64
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    If the AVR has user adjustable filter points, then it's just one more reason to use it instead of a speaker level connection for your bass filtering.
    Just to get it all in the same thread Doc also taught us :o

"With the
    "The Polk Club Way, Low level LFE connection method!" you will not be missing any bass tones or double filtering. You will reap the benefits of better mids and highs. You will have a cooler running Amp and less speaker wire running all over the place."
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    SUMFLOW! MAN! DROP THE PINE APPLE! U'VE ASKED THIS PROBALLY 6 TIMES! THE ANSWERS WILL NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER CHANGE! GET USE TO IT!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • nellis8166
    edited February 2003
    Never thought I would be saying this, I agree with you sid!
    Nice work little bud.

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by nellis8166
    Never thought I would be saying this, I agree with you sid!
    Nice work little bud.

-N

I give that a 5 Laughs :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Yeah SID... steal my rating system Y dont cha.... ;)

..........and will somebody please take Sumflow's box of crayollas and chuck them in the effin Pacific........:rolleyes:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Yeah SID... steal my rating system Y dont cha.... ;)

..........and will somebody please take Sumflow's box of crayollas and chuck them in the effin Pacific........:rolleyes:

fo real man...maybe we should shove em up his butt and pull his finger
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC