Popping and screaching

gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited February 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently bought a new (to me) equalizer and amp.

I bought the EQ from George and the amp from E-bay. The EQ is wonderful and was well packed, as was the amp. When I hooked them up the result was a happy Gidrah. The EQ did what was expected and the Soundcraftsman amp has plenty of power for my little bookshelfs. I also noticed that the Soundcraftsman is absolutely quite compared to the slight hiss of the previous the previous amp. Sorry Bob, but it looks like you'll be bridged and driving the sub when I build it.

The popping and screaching was probably from the bubble-wrap and styrofoam.:D
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    i am curious, just how many people in here use EQ's in their systems? I know what EQ's do and how they work. but what benefits do you get by adding a EQ? And will an EQ "taint" or "color" the sound?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Popping and Screeching, eh... someone wanted a little attention. Bad gidra, bad… now go to your room… ;)
    Originally posted by danger boy
    i am curious, just how many people in here use EQ's in their systems? I know what EQ's do and how they work. but what benefits do you get by adding a EQ? And will an EQ "taint" or "color" the sound?
    I know this is 2 ch land, but first let me just add that most HT'ers are using them... notch filters are room equalization tools.

As for 2-ch, man you want to talk about an ancient debate To some tone controls are sacrilege, but 24 frequencies per channel of +/- 12 db, slide control equalization? Well that was just heresy. Then there’s parametric vs. graphic(?) designs and…

But to your questions:
    - No, I don’t own one, but in the past I have wanted one (dbx made a killer one years ago)
    - True benefits are the ability to tame unruly rooms throughout the audible spectrum, and eek more out of a troublesome music source (old albums, old cassettes, even some old AAD CD’s can benefit from hiss reduction and/ or bass boost)
    - Yes, they color sound, but used properly they can improve the experience; problem was they were more often used to exaggerate bass or produce other ‘unnatural” effects and they got a bad rep.

They can be a lot of fun and do serious work at the same time.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that aside from any notch filter capability, I do have an EQ, and most of y'all do too. It's in one or more of your PC's music playback processors.
    The MusicMatch Jukebox upgrade even claims to have an effective "pop'and click" eliminator for vinyl to CD xfers.... hmmmm, sounds like fun... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD