Looking For Feedback

Options
porter1173
porter1173 Posts: 14
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Hi all,

Not new to the forum, just never really had anything to say. My current setup consists of RT1000i's for mains, CS400i for the center, and a pair of FX300i's for the rear surround. My problem is I am moving into a smaller place at the end of this month and will not have enough room for 5.1. (I think). My REAL problem is I will have an extra 500 dollars a month to play with and I cant get the LSi9's out of my head. Has anybody compared the RT1000i's vrs. the LSI9's? I love the setup I have, but like I said I will have some extra cash flow and I am not sure if I will have the space I need to enjoy my current setup so I am thinking of starting over and going 2 channel for a bit. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Justin
Post edited by porter1173 on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

I'd say, see if they fit. The 9s sound great, but would benefit from a quality subwoofer and can be hazardous to most amps. If you can't go 5.1, try the RT1000i's in 2-ch. They aren't as accurate, but have a much fuller sound and won't take up any more space than a pair of LSi9's on stands.

Do you have a sub? What receiver or amp are you using?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • porter1173
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I am currently using a 10 year old Technics receiver that really is not doing any of my speakers the justice they deserve. Like I said, I will have some extra cash and was looking for options. I am not running a sub right and due to me moving into an apartment, more bass could cause trouble. I was just thinking of selling what I have now and start over with the 9's. Once I buy a house, then I could think about bass and rears. I am also seeing I would be committing murder to the 9's if I got them and ran the Technics. So I suppose a MUCH, MUCH better power supply would be needed at the same time. At work my friend has an older Sony Amp Model # 3200F. He says I could have it. Does anybody know the specs on this amp? I wonder if it would treat the LSi9's justly.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey porter1173,

I live in a apartment and have the RT1000i, CS245,FX300i combo it is really a lot of speaker for an apartment. Because of this I plan to move soon so I can better enjoy them. I suggest you replace your receiver because I know how having extra cash will burn a hole in your pocket. Keep the speakers you currently have even if you have to put the center, and surrounds in the closet. Then save your money, and buy the house. I submit you will find you won't be able to enjoy the LSi9 with a sub either for the same reason I mentioned above. Get the house then you'll have the space, and freedom to go in whatever direction you want. You already have a system thats paid for use the extra money where it will do the most good! As A Down Payment...
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • porter1173
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I slept on it last night and came to the same conclusion. Those LSI9's sure are tempting though. I think I will start with a new receiver. I have read the posts up and down and I am thinking of going with a Denon 3803, but then I heard of some issues with that system. Does anybody else have any other ideas in the same ballpark money wise? I am not sure if I went to seperates, I would know what to do. But then again, live and learn.

Thanks for the opinions,

Justin
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Options
    porter1173,

I just thought I'd add this three cent to the two cent I already gave you. Iv'e been rustling with wanting to get LSi15,s and the Outlaw Pre/Pro, and Amp combo. Even though my neighbors have never complained I realize it would be frutile. I can't really enjoy what I have now. Because I respect their space. Many times I would love to watch a movie, or listen to some sounds maybe at 2:00am if I want. At this point the freedom to enjoy my living space is the most important priority. Not trying to put out your fire, just trying to redirect it. With the extra cash you could be ready to move into your own home without signing another lease. Just saying I'd rather keep what I have and really enjoy it than to get something even better and not ! Good Luck
  • porter1173
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Point well taken, thanks. Its just sometimes I sit and wonder how my stup would sound with a better receiver. My current Technics puts out 110W to the fron, 30 to the center, and like 15 (not sure) to the rears. I spent around 1100 dollars on my speakers and I am still holding onto a 300$ receiver. (back in 92 or so) I think they sound good now, but with some real power and updated formats, I think they would scream. Once again, thanks for the insight. You are probably right.

Justin
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Oh I still say get the receiver. You've got to get that It'll give you something to play with and look at . Then you can focus on the home. You might discover the Rt's sound better than you've ever thought.
  • porter1173
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, what components are you using with your setup? If you dont mind me asking.

Justin
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Options
    This is the Line up:

Receiver: Sony STR-DA2ES 100x6
    Power Amp: Carver TFM 35x 250x2( for main speakers)
    SACD Player: Sony DVP-NC 650V (music only)
    DVD-AUDIO: JVC XV-FA90 w/progressive scan for Music & Movies
    Monster Power: HTS 5000mkII power line conditioner
    Sub: Yamaha YST-SW320 250watts
    TV: Mitsubishi WT-46809 16:9 HDTV
    RT1000i main
    CS245i ctr
    FX300i sur
    Monster interconnects & wire
  • gidrah
    edited February 2003
    Options
    With this additional info I definately would hold on to what you've got. If you like the LSi9s now, imagine what they'll cost in a year (used).

There are also things that apartment dwellers can do to reduce the amount of noise carried. Stone & foam. More on that when need be.
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Options
    porter1173,

Hey Justin just wanted to know what you ended up doing? Thinking is you decided to wait untill after you move ! Let us know.
  • porter1173
    edited February 2003
    Options
    JmasterJ,

So far I have decided to keep the setup I have. I will probably upgrade the reciever once I get back my deposit. I apperciate your info, I thought about what you said and it made perfect sense. Once I get my receiver, I will want to upgrade my cable and I am sure I will have plenty of questions. Once again, thank you.

Justin
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2003
    Options
    porter1173,

I've had the RT1000i for mains for about a year. I'm finally starting hear what they're capable of. I started with a cheap CAN$300 Technics, didn't sound right. Then a Harman Kardon at about CAN$600, better. I'm now running a Denon 2802 CAN$1200 much better. I recently upgrade my speaker cables, even better. This week I'm getting a Rotel RCD1070 CD Player and I think it's going to be other step better.

In the past year I wondered if I needed a speaker upgrade. It seams what I really needed was the equipment to run the RT1000i.

Good luck.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • gidrah
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Heads up! I saw that ATCvenom has a JVC receiver on sale in the "Flea Market" section. It'll do 5.1 (DolbyDigital/DTS), is at a great price and from a great seller. You could possibly sell your Technics to offset the price. I have a similar JVC that I LOVE. I have a pair of 6 Ohm speakers that never sounded better 'til I bought this receiver.