Help: SONY Receiver STR-DA4ES ??

Options
BESKI64
BESKI64 Posts: 28
edited February 2003 in Electronics
First, let me say that I realize Sony Receivers are not very popular on this forum with Polk Speakers!!!

I wondered if anybody is familiar with the Sony 4ES? I currently have 2 year old Sony STR-DE945 which was my first HT receiver and I have been happy with it's sound and features.

I was looking to possibly upgrade to 7.1 and get a little more power along the way and a friend recommended the Sony ES models as a Giant Step up from the DE models. This receiver lists for $999 but I have found an "Authorized" retail store in my area that is selling it for $625 and the Sony "ES" models carry a "5-Year Warranty"

Not sure how to include a link, but there is plenty of product info and pictures of this receiver at crutchfield.com

I realize there are many other receivers and separates out there that may be better, but most are over $1,000.....

Does anybody have the 4ES??
Let me know what you think???

Thanks,
Tom

Fronts: RT800i + RT35i "Stacked"
Center: CS400i
Rear: F/X 500i
Sub: SVS 25-31 PCi
Rec: Sony STR-DE-945
Post edited by BESKI64 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Much, much better than Sony's basic stuff. The older "vintage" ES series are better than the newer ES line, but the older ES won't have 7.1. Respectable gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I tried the 4ES for a month, then returned it to try the Denon. The features and build quality on the Sony ES line continue to be excellent, at least for the 4ES and 7ES models. I can't vouch for the lower level models. The 4ES seemed to be quite a good bargain. However, the sound through the RT line seemed quite harsh to me, even moreso than my previous Yamaha receiver tended to. The Denon seemed much, much smoother and a better match with the speakers below.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    A recent issue of Sound & Vision had a review. Not sure which issue, but within the last 3 issues. It was a positive review, with the caveat that Sony wouldn't let them test power with all channels driven. Instead, Sony says it meets some "official" standard that says that if stated power is "X" wpc, then as long as the other channels are putting out rated power of 1/8th of "X" while one channel is putting out "X", you can call it "X" times five, six or seven, as the case may be. So if the receiver is rated at 110 X 7, it may only give you 110 X 1 and about 14 X 6 within the frequency range & distortion specified.
    This is only to be expected, since the alternative is to believe that all these HT receivers have more power than good multichannel amps rated at, say, 70 wpc.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited February 2003
    Options
    BESKI64,

Hi welcome to the forum. Sony is an aquired taste here, with more tolerance for the ES line. I Have one and I would not trade it. You said you like the one you had, and it offered good value for the dollar. I think the ES line will be a step up from where you are for a price you can afford. So you have to ask yourself who is going to listen to it ? The forum, or you? Who is going to use it the forum or you? and last but not least who is going to pay for it the forum or you. This is a wonderful forum you don't have to make excuses for what you choose to buy. You like what you like ,I like what I like, and they like what they like. All we agree on is that Polk speakers are a wonderful value for the dollar, and we like the way they sound. Tom if you want a 4ES you have my permission to go buy one. Good Listening
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • BESKI64
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Just wanted to Thank everybody for taking the time to reply to my question. Great response "jmasterj"....I guess that about sums it up and should be the rule for buying just about anything !!

I will be going to check out the 4ES this weekend....

Tom
  • BESKI64
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Just a brief follow-up to this thread:

I made a "Road Trip" to the now famous Samman's Electronics in Wayne, NJ last night and picked up the Sony Str-DA4ES (Since it was confirmed that they are in fact an authorized Sony-ES dealer).

Not the best show room for a Demo, but since I knew what I wanted by then from other Demos, it didn't matter.

I bought the unit for a great price of $619.00 (as promised in an e-mail to the store) without any problems and hope to spend the weekend setting it up while "Snowed In" here in New Jersey.

Thanks to everybody for their help...

Tom
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited February 2003
    Options
    "Well you gonna draw that pig iron, or you gone stand there and whistle dixie?

Translation:Well tell us what you think?
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death