SDA and Home Theater imaging question

Options
audiokarma
audiokarma Posts: 7
edited October 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I am considering using a pair of SDA CRS in a bedroom home theater system and was curious about the suitability of the SDA principle for home theater. As you know, DD and DTS soundfields provide very specific localization and panning of sound field effects from left to center to right and front to rear, etc. I am wondering how well the SDA effect integrates with home theater surround? Thanks for your thoughts!
Post edited by audiokarma on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I have no problem with SDA;s in HY setup especially if the HT is used for SACD's or all channel sound.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • HeadphoneAddict
    HeadphoneAddict Posts: 17
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I am using mine in the bedroom home-theater. I can run them in stereo only, with yamaha 5 channel receiver, or flip on the Velodyne center and rear 2-way satellites in 5.1 mode. But all I have for sub is a sharper image 40 watt, since my Velodyne is in the family room with the 5 Jamo in-wall speakers.

It works great for movies, but stereo or live concerts seem to have a little smearing in the soundstage with all speakers on. That ambience while pinpointing instruments is gone, and the sound is more of a blur coming from everywhere.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I use them in my small family room theatre setup...still a 7.1 setup though....they sound fantastic as my main L/R. I actually prefer a dts soundtrack to a dolby soundtrack and always pick the dts when the dvd gives you a choice....the imaging across screen ( Helicopter flyby......motorcycle across screen ) sounds perfect.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • rocket
    rocket Posts: 71
    edited October 2007
    Options
    audiokarma wrote: »
    I am considering using a pair of SDA CRS in a bedroom home theater system and was curious about the suitability of the SDA principle for home theater. As you know, DD and DTS soundfields provide very specific localization and panning of sound field effects from left to center to right and front to rear, etc. I am wondering how well the SDA effect integrates with home theater surround? Thanks for your thoughts!
    i started with the rti12's front and rear with my setup, which is ht and multi sacd, and lots of 2 channel. i then put 3.1's up front, and was very impressed. much wider soundfield, not like hearing from a single point source. since, i have moved the 3.1's to the rear channels, and put 2.3tl's in the front. this further moved the soundfield out further, and for multi sacd it it just incredible! i no longer have sounds(ht or sacd)coming from a single point source any more, but from a much larger 360 degree environment of sound all the way around. the new tweets on the 2.3's are a must, but the tl 3000's on the 3.1's seem to work well. all that is left for me is to upgrade caps, resistors, etc. make sure you have good power all the way around, it makes all the difference in the world. also, as far as i am concerned, leave the interconnect cord plugged in, as i feel this greatly improves the width of the soundfield. i payed 1k$ for my 3.1tl's, delivery included, but they are mint and came out of a 5 year storage from original owner. good luck!