Won some RT3000's - Now what?

Devildog
Devildog Posts: 68
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Just put the winning bid in on some RT3000's on eBay. After that thread on Valentine's Day Gifts, I think I'll make them a gift to my wife. Love is in the air. Wasn't there a song like that? Now I can really bi-wire and save the old RT2000i's for rear surround MUSIC (they'll still be Mantis-wired, it worked for me). If I'm still living here after they're delivered (my wife is a police sergeant and has BIG guns), I will try to employ the Dr. Spec technique and figure out how to optimize all those woofers. Still wish I were rich enough to afford LSi's, but I'm grateful for these. I guess the house will look like a Polk RT Museum soon. If I'm homeless soon, this forum is partly to blame. Happy V-Day, Rick:D
The Revolution will not be televised.
Post edited by Devildog on

Comments

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Devildog
    Just put the winning bid in on some RT3000's on eBay. After that thread on Valentine's Day Gifts, I think I'll make them a gift to my wife.

Hmm. I wonder if I could get away with giving my wife a brand spanking new SVS 20-39PC-PLUS sub for Valentine's Day!

I think she might end up looking like this if I did.....:supermad:
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Stephen Bayley
    Stephen Bayley Posts: 17
    edited February 2003
    Hi

Gongrats on the RT3000 purchase, I want some too.

I have RT2000i's as well, what's "Mantis Wired"?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Devildog
    Just put the winning bid in on some RT3000's on eBay. Still wish I were rich enough to afford LSi's, but I'm grateful for these. :D
    RT3000's used/delievered for cheaper than LSi9's new.:confused:
  • Devildog
    edited February 2003
    I just broke the news to the Sergeant that we would be getting some new speakers. I had been talking about getting some direct rads RT35 or 55 for rear surround music, so that's sort of what she expects. I'll try to get them set up while she's at work and just plead insanity upon her arrival. If our former governor can commute the death sentence of everyone on death row, I can't see how the Sergeant could justify my execution. Wish there were an AA for those who just keep buying new gear. I still want an SACD/DVD-A player and some butt kickers. She just might give me my wish on the second one, and without that required mega-amp needed. At least my 12 y.o. daughter thinks I'm cool.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    Mantis wiring(named after me) is the name given to the wire configuration that is really a bi wire configuration.The claim around here is you can't "bi wire" a powered tower design speaker made from Polk.But this is the best yielding sound quality wise wire configuration I have found with Powered tower design speakers.
    If this is confusing to you, do a search on Bi wire and read away my friend.
    Politically correct"bi wiring" or not,as I stated this is the best way to wire the powered tower speakers.My advice is to give all wiring options a try,do some shootout time with different configurations and reply back what YOU think is the best sounding way.I tried them all.
    Mantis Wiring....................:rolleyes:
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Stephen Bayley
    Stephen Bayley Posts: 17
    edited February 2003
    Thanks,

I understand the concept, electronics is my background. I see the issue with bi-wiring as there is no individual terminals for the mid-bass and tweeter on the RT2000i, not from the outside the box anyway.

I'm using the line level input for the subs using the dual subwoofer outputs from my Sony 5.1 amp. I'm also using Supra sheilded speaker cable to drive the conventional speakers.

I'm looking for a way to improve the top end on the RT2000i.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by scottvamp

RT3000's used/delievered for cheaper than LSi9's new.:confused:
    What did ya pay for them? How much to deliever those monsters?
  • Devildog
    edited February 2003
  • Devildog
    edited February 2003
    Yep, it works. I know that's a little high but up to a couple minutes before the auction ended they were at $1350. I'm still waiting to hear the shipping. At least they are pacgaged in their original packing and boxes and are supposed to be only about six months old. I hope my RT collection will last me at least until I retire/die/win the lotto.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Just put the winning bid in on some RT3000's on eBay. Still wish I were rich enough to afford LSi's, but I'm grateful for these.
    O.K. try this again - $1825.00 plus shipping for the used rt's but can't AFFORD LSi's?:confused: Help me out on this one. That price could get you two pairs of LSi9's and a killer sub.

Anywho - I was looking at them also. Very nice condition from the pic. They WILL ROCK!!!!!!! If you have the typical wife talked about by these Polksters - these monsters will get you locked up.
    Time to rock the house.;)
  • Devildog
    edited February 2003
    Scott,
    I know it's a lot but I wanted to match the other RT's I already have mounted and wired. If I did get the LSi's, I'd want to swap out my receiver and amp for seperates and get a new sub (maybe that new SVS Dr. Spec showed us). I'm hoping this addition to the sound in the room will be sufficient to allow me to save up for HDTV next, maybe after they get the interlace and connection hodge-podge sorted out and standardized. Maybe one of the new generation SACD/DVD-A players would be nice too. I really do like this stuff. Rick
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited February 2003
    Damned Dog, I agree with Scottvamp, for that kind of cash, you could have at least gotten a very serious start towards all LSis.
  • Devildog
    edited February 2003
    BigSexy1, What would I do with all those other RT's in the RT museum? Those LSi's are like fine wine. I never did mind Ripple or MD20-20. My wife thinks it's some sort of mid-life thing. If it is, I'm saving up for another Harley. LOL Rick