Is this a good Receiver?

Wynner3
Wynner3 Posts: 2
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Hi, I have an old Sony Receiver (STR AV-1010) which has 4 out of the 5 speakers from the Polk Audio RM6000 speaker set hooked up to it. This receiver doesn't support DTS or a center channel and doesn't have any Optical inputs and I am soon going to get rid of it. I was looking at this one

B0000658AQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and see that it has everything I am looking for. I have an Xbox and a lot of DVD's and play games and I don't get the full sound realism (?) with only 4 speakers. Does anyone here have this receiver? If so, should I get it? Do you think it's worth $199? Right now my budget is at the $200 range.

More info: Here!

:confused::D
My new saying: F*ck it!
Post edited by Wynner3 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited February 2003
    Yamaha make nice stuff Man.It's not a bad receiver.
    My advice is figure out what you can spend and demo everything in your price class.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited February 2003
    Wynner3,

Welcome to the forum, Mantis makes good since, and I agree with him I too like Yamaha equipment. Now my question is this! Is a $200.00 dollar receiver what you really want or can you wait save your money, and spend a little more? In this hobby of ours sometimes we tend to play with ourselves. We waist money, and time because we tend to want instant gratification. We don't think about the long term. WE all ready know you will out grow this receiver before you get it home good. Now some might say little baby steps. I say don't play with yourself keep what you have, save some money then get a receiver that will grow with the rest of your system. One thing I've found is when you up grade one thing then you have to upgrade another. Ultamately you make the decision. My advise is wait till you get enough to get a good receiver $500+ range. You'll be glad in the long run. Then build the rest of your system around it. Happy Listening !
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • Wynner3
    Wynner3 Posts: 2
    edited February 2003
    This is only going to be in my bedroom. I just plan on using it for my Xbox games and movies. I have a more expensive receiver by Yamaha in my living room along with bigger and better speakers.
    My new saying: F*ck it!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by jmasterj
    Wynner3,

In this hobby of ours sometimes we tend to play with ourselves. !

Hmmmmm? just what are we saying here now? :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Wynner3,

in that case, sure that will be fine for the bedroom.

Settle down danger boy,

I'm not spankin the monkey, that's a different website altogether!
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by jmasterj

I'm not spankin the monkey, that's a different website altogether!

Jackin World
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Sorry, just had to throw that in there!
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Oh my God ! Thats a real website. Hell naw. And I guess they explore all area's of Spainkin the monkey. Wow... I don't know, what did we do before the www ? You can find everything, anything on the web. Guess I'll have to check them out. Unbeleiveable!!!!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by rs159

Jackin World

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I needed a helping hand. :p

the scary thing about this website is the "how to section" like guys haven't figured it out for themselves by the time they reach puberty??

It's not uncommon for a 13- or 14-year-old to **** 3, 4, or even 5 or 6 times per day. Hey MX what are you doing right now? :lol::lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    My guess is that the "How to" section is for kids who are like 12 who don't even know what wacking is yet. When they get a little more ummm.. experienced, they can look at the "JackinExpert" section for more advanced techniques and fun with household objects and stuff like that. But anyway... (let's try to stay out of the hall of shame!)