Sony Grand Wega

Options
tntvt
tntvt Posts: 121
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I'm Looking to upgrade. The GW is alot of money $4999.99! The set I've looked at in the store has an incredible Picture. I asked to see all inputs, HDTV, DVD and Analog. But I'm still on the edge! Anyone have one???? I would love to hear some opinions (from owners).:rolleyes:
Post edited by tntvt on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    If your ENJOY HT for 5 grand look into front projection. To me it's a no brainer.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I Concur - TV's are a waste of money compared to a projector and a decent screen, or a wall painted with speciality stuff.
  • tntvt
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The one thing that worries me about a screen vs Tv is the picture quality???? I know nothing about front projection. Will it even compare to the HDTV? I'm not so much going for size as quality. Give some screen and projector brands. Web sites would be cool! Tell me what you know about picture quality.

P.S $5000.00 is the price limit.

Thanks Todd
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Scott,

For the average person that doesn't have a dedicated HT room, do those projectors work very well? I've been under the impression that those things work well if you can black out your room entirely, but otherwise, you're just not gonna be watching TV on the thing with the picture being really faded.......true?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I don't have personal experiance but, I would say front projection if 1. you had a large room, 2. you wanted strictly HT, 3. your budget was above 5000.00..... I have heard watching regular TV stinks on a projector, although maybe foolish even considering useing it for that, although if someone was looking at a tube tv, they want it for more then just HT i would think/// i went and looked at some projectors and found that the decent ones ran in the thousands and the screen was pretty pricey also.. deticated Ht room maybe so, but for the living room i would say no..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I would love to promote front projection on this site allday but what would I accomplish?
    1) I have to have a huge room?
    Wrong - FP can be fired on a screen as small as 45" but then that defeats the whole purpose of getting FP.
    2)I have to be rich$?
    Wrong - the average FP is around $4000. $1500 low end $10,000 top of the line.
    3)My room has to have zero light.
    Wrong. Any FP with more than 900 lumens depending on the source (DLP, LCD) can have plenty of ambiente light. Many produce over 2000 lumens and can be veiwed with windows fully open.
    4)What about HDTV and other sources?
    The average new FP in a range of $3000 and up all are HD ready as is mine. Yes, I would recommend FP for deicated HT's but that is the whole point. Does regular tv cable look pretty bad? Well of course conceding the size of the screen. It looks pretty bad compared to top of the progressive scan and a reference quality DVD. If you want to watch regular tv you can add a line doubler for about $500 to $1000 and it will help greatly. HD on a 8 foot plus screen - ya - jaw dropping.
    5)Screens cost as much as the FP itself.
    Wrong again - it depends on the size, brand and type. My 8 foot screen with some diy paint cost me $250. From that knowledge when I go to a 16 foot screen it will cost me around $500.
    $200 low end to $2500 top of the line.(120")
    FP is not for everyone but it is the standard in dedicated HT's.
    Other wise for $5000 plus I would go nothing smaller or else than a 65" WS HD rear projection tv. Period. IMVHO
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    tntvt,
    I think the Sony is a mistake.It's not quite there yeat my man.Black levels are horrible.DLP rear projection isn't quite ready yeat.If I where you and had 5 grand to spend on a rear projection........allow me ask some questions and I'll help you out with some good choices.
    1) How big is your room?
    2)how far do you sit from where the TV is going to go?
    3)What sources do you own and what are you planning to buy?
    4)Where the TV is going to go,is there alot of or any windows in the room and where in realation to the screen?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tntvt
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Manits,

1) The room is still under construction! I'm in the middle of finishing off part of the basement. The finished size will be 15'x25'. The walls just went up.

2) Seating should be between 15' and 20' (2 rows)

3) Right now the sources are:
    DVD is a sony dvp7700
    Adelphia's digital cable scientific atlanta
    SVHS by ?
    Everything as of now goes into the onkyo898 then to the Mitsubishi 55 16x9 HDTV via S-video.

4) As for light there are only 2 very small basement windows.

5) I thought the black levels were a vast imporvement over last years Grand Wega. And the picture is better then anything I've seen. Out of the Plasma priceline anyway.

6) Last of all. Thank you for your help Mantis. Todd

Sorry I forgot I do want the TV/ Projector to be HDTV ready.:D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    tntvt,
    I'll leave the final word for Scott and others, it's really not my turf, but IMO 15' and 20' away is not only plenty far enough for Front Projection, it is borderline begging for it.

Check it out here:
    http://www.sanyo.com/business/office/projectors/

Note the "lens calculator" in the right hand list of links. It'll walk you through an analysis of your room...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks Tour - some times seems i'm posting for my good looks.
    :cool: Hope you got some insight - *brett/faster*.
    My first row is 11 feet from my screen. 15 feet away - I hope you buy something of decent size as i suggested. Seems to me that your HT is dedicated. If you are really into extreme black levels crt/plasma will give you the best but nether are practical for a dedicated HT. It comes down to screen size you want. With your price range you can go 30 inches or 30 feet. No really.;)
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Using the 7700 with a projector,I see a scaler in your future.Unless you decide to go Progressive.
    That room size is almost exactly the same size as my theater room. mine is 15 x 24.I'm going projector.I'm thinking a 100 inch screen(Stewart Firehawk) with a Sharp xv10000u DLP gun.
    You could look into Mitsubishi 73" Diamond line.Really nice set.
    Dan
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Using the 7700 with a projector,I see a scaler in your future.Unless you decide to go Progressive.
    That room size is almost exactly the same size as my theater room. mine is 15 x 24.I'm going projector.I'm thinking a 100 inch screen(Stewart Firehawk) with a Sharp xv10000u DLP gun.
    You could look into Mitsubishi 73" Diamond line.Really nice set.
    I agree Mantis - when are you going FP? And why are you soo sold on the Sharp? It's been a bit over priced for the market/ competition. If money is no object (sort of speak) hince the Firehawk screen - you could just throw down a bit more and get like a Marantz VP-12S2? Just wondering your thought process.
  • tntvt
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Scott some brands models stores??????? Who What Where and How much. Thanks.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tntvt
    Scott some brands models stores??????? Who What Where and How much. Thanks.
    tntvt - easy - give me something a little harder;)
    Best prices - best customer service -
    Look to the right and your will see a FP crash course. Have Fun!!
    HomeTheater Projectors
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Scottvamp,
    money is an object but.......The Sharp I have installed many many times and have seen wonerfull results.The level of detail is stunning.Even playing video games like XboX looks breath taking.The New 10000u gun is an update from the 9000u,which is what I feel in love with.I have seen alot of other guns go at a less of a price,and none of them convinced me that the Sharp wasn't the way to go.
    The Gun is only as good as the screen you shoot it on.The Stewark Firehawk is the best of the best for this gun.The GreyHawk is also nice, but I feel the black levels are better and whites are brighter on the FireHawk.
    In my opnion, there is no need to cheap out here.If your going to go this route,go all the way.
    Dan
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sounds Good!!! My only other bug is why such a small screen (i mean if your going ALL the way) that is? A 100" screen is small fisheess in the FP world? So Mantis when are ya kicking down on this project?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Try WWW.AVSForum.com for all of your projector questions. WWW.Projectorpeople.com is pretty good for pricing. Don't for get to figure bulb replacement costs into your budget.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • tntvt
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thank you for the help and the links! I think the projector has been chosen the Sony VPL-HS10. Any coments on this projector? I like the specs. and there is actually a local dealer in Vermont! Now I could use some screen advice. Like the Setwart Luxus stuff, but can not find any info about sound transpareny. Also the Da lite screens look good. Help!:D
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tntvt
    Thank you for the help and the links! I think the projector has been chosen the Sony VPL-HS10. Any coments on this projector? I like the specs. and there is actually a local dealer in Vermont! Now I could use some screen advice. Like the Setwart Luxus stuff, but can not find any info about sound transpareny. Also the Da lite screens look good. Help!:D
    tntvt - I checked that projector out and it seems to be pretty solid for the price. It is a good find. Very light, good specs and lots of cool features.
    What kind of price were you given - I found it for $2495. Let me know how it works out.;)
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp

tntvt - I checked that projector out and it seems to be pretty solid for the price. It is a good find. Very light, good specs and lots of cool features.
    What kind of price were you given - I found it for $2495. Let me know how it works out.;)
    tntvt
    BUMP!!!!!;)
  • tntvt
    edited February 2003
    Options
    $2800.00 Plus 1 year same as cash. It is on order and will not be here untill the end of the month. I cant wait. The room is comming along nicely. The screen has also been orderd, a vutec 110. I can't wait. :D
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Very cool - finally a Polkster with a projection system. Welcome to the FP crowd - ohhhh i mean me and you that is. There was one other Jermie or something in the showcase, killer dedicated HT with almost the same setup as mine - I believe he enjoys it enough to not babble on this forum. Ya - like me.
    Here is a HT forum and about 90% of all menbers own FP systems.
    Anyways - can't wait to hear how you like it - it adds a whole new concept to Hometheater. Send us some pics
    Later :cool:
    Hometheater Village
  • tntvt
    edited February 2003
    Options
    What a great site! Have to get me one of thoes dream systems:D I don't think mine will turn out quite that nice. If all goes well I should be finished in about a month. I will update my picts. in the system showcase. Thanks again!