Center Channel question

Options
Ken1222
Ken1222 Posts: 17
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I own the 6700s with PSW404 sub. I just reqad the following on CNET (replace the center channel with a CSI30) which I would ask the members here to comment on.
Thanks very much.

"Because so much of the dialog and soundtrack plays through the front RM2650 center channel speaker it becomes much more evident as you listen to extraordinarily well produced DVD's. To our ears, this is the only potential negative of this system but, to be fair, most systems in this price range suffer from the same shortcoming. Since we were already chomping at the bit to add a rear center speaker for even more exciting 6.1 surround thrills, a helpful exchange of email with Polk customer service provided some interesting options. To convert your RM6700 setup from 5.1 to 6.1, you could simply add another perfectly matched RM2350 sat or RM2650 center channel speaker for about $120 or $180 respectively. Both feature timbre matched 3/4" silk/polymer dome tweeters and 3-1/4" midranges. However, for significantly wider dynamic range, we decided to add a new, larger Polk CSi30 center for $180. WOW! What a HUGE difference! The larger 1" silk/polymer dome tweeter and dual 5-1/4" Dynamic Balance® drivers provide significantly increased dynamic range and are sufficiently timbre matched to the front sats to make for great transparency and seemless sound migration across the front soundstage. With the original RM2650 front center speaker now delegated to rear center, there is no 5.1 "jump" from left to right rear surround speakers - just smooth, fluid sound movement across the rear soundstage as well."
Post edited by Ken1222 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    CSi30 option sounds good to me.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Center channel is very important and handles much of the front stage in movies but you want it to match the mains and not be over powering.