Stupid LSi15 HK525 Question

Options
tnathan
tnathan Posts: 22
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I am a newbie so please don't flame me. I have an HK 525 (70watts per channel in 7.1 mode) , and a Polk rm7500 with a PSW 650. I wanted to add LSi15's as fronts to give me some presence and finish off the system. I hoped this would turn my system into a small classical music concert hall.

I see on here that others have opined that you need a bigger amp with higher watts capable of plyaing into 4 ohms. I could buy a bigger receiver. I could buy a big 200watts/channel 7.1 amp and run everything out from the pre-amp outputs. However, I assume this will cause problems for the rm7500 which I don't believe is rated for 200 watts/channel.

I had an another idea but since no one else has thought of it I assume it won't work. The Lsi15's have a bi amp input. How about running the high end direct off of the receiver powered connection (70 watts per channel) and then add a bridged 2x100 amp to power the low end. Would this give me an effective 170 watts/ per channel? Would there be a sound quality issue? Would the ballance or sonic image be off? It seemed like a nice cheap idea which would reduce the chance that I over power the rm7500 while giving the lsi's the power they need to shine.

What do you think?
Post edited by tnathan on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It's not really about wattage. You could get a Sony "200 wpc" receiver and try to run those LSi's all day and it'll sound terrible.

The H/K AVR-525 will do a moderately good job of driving those LSi's - much better than any low cost '200 watt' receiver. But if you want optimal sound you might want to think about investing in a 2ch amp for the LSi's like I did and eventually a pre/pro.

What is the wattage rating for the RM system that you have? I think they'll be ok if you hook them up to a higher wattage amp, but you can always call/email polk technical support to find out more.
  • tnathan
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. You think I would be better off with a 2x200 amp than trying to bi-amp with the receiver and a smaller amp? As for the RM7500, I couldn't find the max amps. They recommend a receiver capable of putting out between 20-150 watts/channel. I assum 150 is the max.

I was concerned that I would end up with a good stereo system but as for 7.1 surround the rm7500 would get dwarfed by the lsi's sence they would be getting 2-3 time the power the rest of the system gets.

OVerall my end point is trying to fill out my system. I don't really need more volume but I would like to add something that really tightens up the system and gives me great imagery for classical music. Maybe I should consider the LSi9's? I just like the look of the floorstander's better.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'm not sure about the bi-amping. I've never done it and don't really feel the need to. Besides bi-amping can open up a whole new can of worms. Someone else may pipe up on this subject and help you make the decision. I just don't think bi-amping from two different (brand/watts) amps is proper.

You already have a PSW-650 which is a good musical sub so you have many options. I don't think the RM7500 will have a problem with a 200wpc amp unless you crank it to max volume for hours on end. But check with Polk customer service to be sure.

You could get 9's and use the PSW-650 to fill out the low end for music (if you need to, the 9's have a pretty impressive low end but probably not low enough for classical music), or you could get the 15's and save the psw-650 for movies. Matching a sub with satelites for music *and* movies can be a pain. This is why my system is the way it is. I don't even have a sub *yet* and I'm pretty happy.

For the quickest and most painless way to fill out your system for stereo music I'd get a 2ch amp and the 15's and then you'll be done. Don't worry about the wattage matching up. You can configure your receiver so that the db levels of all speakers are the same for 5.1+ performance.

You sound a lot like me a few months ago. I liked the look, feel, and stability of the towers better. Not to mention the instant gratification you get of hooking them up and not having to muck with a subwoofer. ;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    tnathan,
    I don't think adding the Lsi15's to your current system is a good move.The tonal mismatch alone is enough reason.
    Your receiver isn't what I would use or ever consider to use running the Lsi anything.You can however improve on what you already own with placement,wire,room treatment,etc.
    I know upgrading sometimes can be tuff.It 's even harder to deside what would be the correct path.The Rm series speakers are nice all by themselves.The psw650 can be tweaked to sound really good with the rm's.I would look into that path in bettering what you own already.
    The Lsi15's are fantastic speakers.I know why you want them,I own them myself.But Powering them with a lesser quality then flagship caliber receiver or seperates just doesn't do them justice.Not to mention you could damage them if driven to loud with that receiver.
    Your receiver is nice for the speakers you own.I bet it sounds really good already.Ask some question on how to improve what you own and alot of people in here including myself would be more then happy to help.
    I hope this opnion of mine isn't counting out the Lsi15's on your part.They are In my opnion the finest sounding speakers Polk has made to date.But with that level of speaker needs that level of gear to match it.
    I run my Lsi15's with a B&K avr307.The sound quality and support from the amp section is amazing.I love it more and more I listen to it.(look for my review coming soon)
    I also own Rotel seperates, which also made the Lsi15's sing.
    I used to own a Denon avr3801,which is a fine receiver for it's level.It couldn't make the Lsi15's sing at all.It actually sounded terrible.The Denon had a very hard time bringing out all the detail and depth the Lsi15's can deliver.
    If you see lsi in your near future,see better gear as well.Hope this helps.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    o I forgot to add your question isn't stupid.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tnathan,
    I have the same HK receiver that you have. When I upgraded to the LSI line(center and mains) I was horribly dissapointed by the sound quality. When I consulted with people here the response was all the same, "you need more power." I tested many different amps and ended up going with an Adcom GFA 7400 which pumps out about 200 wpc @ 4ohms. The difference was absolutely astounding. It's a five channel amp so I bi-amped my mains and I run the center on the 5th channel. I let the HK run the surrouds. The center and mains run a bit louder with the Adcom so you have make sure that you calibrate the system well. It sounds wonderful now, I am very happy with it. You will see this over and over here, the LSi are a exceptional speaker, but if you don't have adequate power I think you would be dissapointed as I was.
    By the way, how do you like your HK 525??? I really like mine. There is almost too many choices on the damn thing though. Really like the bass management system.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • tnathan
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I love the HK 525. I have been a loyal owner since I bought an HK 395i from someone in my dorm in college. It had 30 w/c. Didn't impress many in college where dirty watts are king but no match for sound quality. I then purchased a festival 80. Good for appartment but sound field sucked. I now use it as my computer surround system. The 525 has a much better sound processing and also seems to have enough features to be scaleable (DVD audio, SACD) since it has 6 analog inputs.

As for the lsi15's, Getting the sound field ballanced in 7.1 is my major concern. In stereo mode, I would expect an amp would do the trick. (HK receiver "quality but low watts" + carver amp "loud clean watts" = loud high quality).

My major concern is with 7.1. Will the ezset feature be able to ballance things or did you have to manually set the speakers? Are you happy with the decision or do you think a bigger amp is the ultimate solution.

Secondly, do you have any thoughts about buying a 7x200 amp or multiple amps and just run everything at 200 w/c. THis would seem to address the ballance issue. However probably very expensive.
  • tnathan
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Oh ya,

one of the reasons I am looking at this is so that I have some upward scalability. I have a rm7500 which includes the psw650. This sub is great. If I buy the lsi15's then if I ever decide to upgrade the receiver I will only need to upgrade the surrounds for a 200-250 w/c system. However, if I buy something that is more matched 150 watt speakers now as mains. Although a better match, not very good upgrade possibilities. Is there anyway I can get the best of both worlds?
  • nellis8166
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tnathan,

1) I agree that the HK does a wonderful job in the surround department.
    2) Getting your speaker levels calibrated correctly is not as hard as it sounds. I used the ez-set and it does a fairly good job. Not sure how accurate it is, I have yet to spend the money on a set up DVD and SPL meter to test. Even if it is off by a few DB's I would never notice the difference and I don't think that you would either.
    3) A bigger amp made all the difference in the world with my LSi9s and LSiC. It rocks for two channel music and with things calibrated correctly home theater is just as good.
    4) I looked at buying a high powered 7 channel amp and $ was the issue, that route will ultimately give you the best sound, but you are going to have to lay down some heavy dough to get it done. The HK does a great job running the four surrounds, I would not worry about that.
    5) On your last post: IMO if you want to upgrade, cost effective and get the best sound, start with some nice front and center speaks and get a nice power amp to drive them. This gives you all the flexibilty you could ask for. You could use the speaks you have in you RM7500 system for your side and rear surrounds for full blown 7.1 sound which is amazing, have you tried it??? The HK has pre-amp outs for all channels so as you get the funds you could buy more power amps for your surrounds, and upgrade your surrounds.
    That is my next step as the money comes in. I would like to get another power amp for my surrounds.
    Hope this helps!!!

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • tnathan
    edited February 2003
    Options
    that helps a lot thanks for the input. It sounds like bi amping is not the way to go. Instead I think I will try what you did and get a nice 2x200 w/c amp to run the fronts.
  • nellis8166
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Let us know what you decide to go with and how it works out for you. Have fun with it!!!

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James