RT7 vs RT55i's

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Gents,

Looking for some input....I have been toying with the idea of maybe, just maybe, getting a set of RT55's. I like them but I don't know that I like them close to 600 bones better than the 7's. It's a pretty well documented fact that I really like the 7's.

Anyone got any opinions?

Troy
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    [size=+3]LSi[/size]....if you're going to upgrade, do it right.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Quit all changing the subject, and getting involved with other posts.

WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING FOR REARS

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    ......What Russ said.

Ok, but for the sake of argument stick to the original question. Plus, cost is somewhat of a factor here not to menition I haven't seen much less heard the LSi....

I was actually thinking about the LSi's in 2 ch stereo environment.

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    How can I take seriously a dude that won't even be forthcoming about his own equipment???

Russ,
    I got a sixer of Pete's Wicked that says they are Bose....not that there is anything wrong with that..
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2001
    Nothing would be wrong with that. I'll take that sixer, a raise you a Guiness 4-pack, I say its Technics.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2001
    I LOVE the 7's man, I wouldn't change them for 55's. Not saying anything about the 55's, but I think the 7 is prob one of the best 'shelf speakers Polk ever made.

Someday, I want to own a pair, just to have them....

Yeah, don't leap into the 55, hold out for the LSi, lets all give em a listen....with the msrp, obviously Polk is pretty proud of them......we shall see how they hold up in their price point, I can't WAIT. Lots of tough competition in that range...

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    the more I think about it, you are right. I went to CC last night with some Frank Sinatra and my Peter Murphy CD and gave the 55's a good listen.....I like the 7's better IMO. They stay. Every once in a while I just feel like I want something new I guess.....

I am waiting for the LSi's though to be sure.

Russ, IF I ever decide to part with the 7's, you got first dibs on them.

Troy
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    Come..on. Even you know thats not a fair test. If you were to take them home and listen to them..and then said the 7's were better I'd buy off on it. but just listening to them at the store... has some holes in the test..... I'm not advicating either... then again.... CR has the 301's out performing the rt55is ...so your probably right (lol)
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    in circuit city, we use crappy cable, which all sits together under the floor...not so good for interference. We also have several switch boxes which can hamper the sound. The only good thing about demos in the store is that they are hindered somewhat equally for all the products. Joe six pack may not be able to hear the hampering but an audiophile such as yourself could. take them home and then once you've had your demo (a/b switching prefered) return them. just be sure to be nice to the sales guy (returns hurt our performance stats).
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    ok guys....my buddy, the bose convert, brought his brand spankin new 55's and his 400i over and we hooked them up and did a little A/B testing on a variety of material.
    Again, this is my purely unscientific opinion but the 7's seem to have a bit more spacious soundstage, better mid's I think. The 55's standalone seem to have better bass extension but hooked to sub it is a wash. This only reinforces more earlier thoughts leaving CC. The 55i is a damn good speaker don't get me wrong but I still can't justify the cash.....

The center is a different story. the 400i is just awesome. Upgrade on the 245i is a done deal....

STILL waiting to hear the LSi's though....

Troy
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited July 2001
    Give up your 7's Troy? C'mon man, you and I both know how sweet they are. Hang on to them and use them someplace else where you can get the same enjoyment out of them that you have been appreciating for years now.
    Happy Listening
    GZ
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Hey Gary...

No, I was a little delusional there for a minute and was thinking about it. BUT reason prevailed. Hey any time the wife OK's me to spend money, I do it cuz it don't happen often. The 7's stay, they are just too sweet. I am getting the 400i center though.

If I ever did get rid of them though, I would want someone who would truly appreciate them to have them and use them as opposed to just sitting in a box in the attic.

Good to hear from you!

Troy