SACD vs. DVD audio

mangata572
mangata572 Posts: 52
edited February 2003 in Electronics
What’s the difference? My Sony NS700P has progressive scan, and 3-2 pull down, but no SACD or DVD Audio. Should I get a separate player for the new format(s), or replace the one I have with an all in one. Are separate boxes easier to connect? I don’t care for CD, CD-W, etc. just SACD and/or DVD Audio, 3-2 (I think?), progressive scan, and good quality without breaking the bank. Do I need a DTS decoder since my pre has one?

Thanks
Post edited by mangata572 on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited February 2003
    It's optional for audio fan's folk if you want to litsen to high quality multichannel and stereo sound. SACD and DVD-A are two different format but offer the same purpose of 5.1 sound. If you are in the market for this and you do have the audio gear to support for one of this format (5 full range speakers, good subwoofer, a decent receiver), you probably should consider to get one. Depend on how much money you want to spend, your can get one for a little of $200 all the way to the $1000 range and above, Sony, Panasonic, JVC and the one that do them all like Pioneer 47a and the new Onkyo DVD player. Most of the players now-a-day have the buit-in DTS and DD decoder, so it's plus to have them even thought you don't need them, but then you'll never know you may need them later.

Separate boxes are easy to connect, the question is : you want to buy high quality boxes, you must spend additional money to buy quality inter-connect cable to connect them, just like if you buy a Cadillac, is this worth it if you just put on 4 spare tires to drive? you probably will not get all the benefits out of it.

So check the bank and decide what you want to do...