what's the right AMP on SDA-II's

Options
mikeo
mikeo Posts: 15
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Hi everyone,

I used to run my SDA-II connected to a combination of
a Yamaha C60pre-amp and a Onkyo-555 Amp. This was a blast - fantastic sound and enough drive to fly with it..
well, the preamp died - i had it fixed 2 years ago, but this time it is for good.

Now i am planning on getting me a Yamaha RX-V1300 RDS for HT and Stereosound and also plan to add more speakers for the surround sound to it..

I saw a few postings where it was heavily discussed if Yamaha delivers the right sound to Polk speakers.

Question is - does anyone use SDA-II's in combination with a Yamaha HT Digital Receiver ? and if so which one is it ..

I am not sure if this is the best choice for the speakers i own.

many thanks for any feedback...

mikeo:confused:

..spoil yourself with clean sound..

..get the right stuff - no compromises
Post edited by mikeo on

Comments

• mfalesch
    mfalesch Posts: 8
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'm not into HT - only 2-Channel audio. I (and others in this forum) have found the SDA-II's to be a bit "harsh" in the midrange. I run my SDA-II's with a Crown PSA-2 power amp(350W per channel), a Crown Straight-Line Two pre-amp and a Audio Controls EQ to enable "cutting" the midrange. I don't know if these newfangled HT multi-channel "thangs" have a midrange control or only bass and treble. My opinion is that you may want either a midrange control on your amp or an equalizer.

Last week I bought a Polk PSW650 subwoofer to fill out my bottom end and I am very pleased! The SDA's have those lacking passive radiators.
    Trane & Miles, Wolfgang & Gustav on:

Polk SDA-2's & PSW650
    Amps: Crown PSA-2 & Straight Line Two
    Sony CD
    TTable:Thorens TD125 MKII, SME arm Shure V15 Type III
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It's funny how people hear things differently. I always thought my 2B's were a little bright in the treble, not the mid-range. The SL2000 tweeter does have a peak at 13,000 kHz which I quessed was the reason for the brightness. The TL series with the SL3000 tweeter is very smooth. I do agree that the 2's bass is not the best, but let me assure you the 2.3's and 1.2's have kick **** bass, in spades!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My setup consists of a Yamaha RX-V2300, Polk SDA-2As, and Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer. In my opinion, it's a great sounding system.

I auditioned Denon and Yamaha HT receivers back-to-back before buying the Yamaha. I felt the Yamahas had a fuller, richer sound. I was actually going to buy the RX-V1300, but the store didn't have one in stock, so I got the 2300. That was over two months ago and I'm still very pleased. The RX-V1300 would be a fine match for your SDAs.

The later addition of the subwoofer really made a big difference. The SDAs' imaging and overall sound was greatly improved. I knew the bass would be better, but the overall improvement was a pleasant surprise.

I had considered picking up a good, used pair of a higher SDA model, but not anymore.
  • mikeo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hi Abmarsh,
    what is the power of the RXV2300 ? is that the 'small Brother' of the RX-V1300 or is it vice versa ? (i couldn't find that one over the yamaha site )
    Can you connect a additional AMP to the Receiver for increased Stereo Sound ? (would that make sense i should ask as well)

You know what - your message tells me i am heading the right direction here .. for the subwoofer - that is an interrresting fact, i really thought i would not need one, but .. who knows.. :-)
    It looks rather challenging for the future...

cheers
    mikeo

• mikeo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Abmarsh,
    what i meant by power was the output per channel on 4 Ohm.

cheers
    mikeo

• mfalesch
    mfalesch Posts: 8
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Like "abmarsh"........I just added a subwoofer to my SDA-II's and find that I am enjoying my system more than when I first brought the SDA's home back in '85!!

I picked up a Polk PSW650 subwoofer at a local "Great Indoors" store. They price-matched the current "Crutchfield" price plus shipping charge..........so I got it for under $600.

It really fills out the bottom end nicely- which was lacking in the SDA-II's.
    Trane & Miles, Wolfgang & Gustav on:

Polk SDA-2's & PSW650
    Amps: Crown PSA-2 & Straight Line Two
    Sony CD
    TTable:Thorens TD125 MKII, SME arm Shure V15 Type III
  • mikeo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hi mfalesch,
    cooool, i think that's it for me then .. i will get a sub too.. i am convinced that this will make a difference, having said that, i was always impressed by the bass of the SDA-II's ...

(so i will propably move my furniture then by listening to some tunes ... ) :-))

cheers
    mikeo

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited February 2003
    Options
    RX-V1300 is 100 w/ch into 8 ohms, RX-V2300 is 110 w/ch into 8 ohms. The manual doesn't list a 4 ohm value. It does list a 6 ohm value; I think it's 165 w. I'll check that when I get home this afternoon.

The features of the two receivers are pretty much identical otherwise.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You should look for a amp that has high current as the SDA's seem to love them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk