Monica II,Athenas, + AQ...

Options
daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited October 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Hey, ya'll. In need of cash to get my Fxi5 on from Doug so I'm unloading a couple things I wish I didn't have to but I need to make good on a promise and could use some help.

1: Monica II DAC, Just bought from snow recently. Excellent reviews around net and great sounding NOS DAC. I must admit it is not the greatest looking piece of gear but well worth the price. $125 shipped conus. SOLD TO bikerboy

2: Athena AS-B1 bookshelf speakers. perfect condition with original box,manual,etc. Recently bought from H9. $75 shipped conus. SOLD to opus

3: Audioquest Sidewinder sub cable. Single amp to dual sub. Great cable,
definitely much better than the Monster I was using. $20 shipped conus.SOLD to cambir
I may come up with a couple more things but this is a good start. Will try to get pics up but I'm sure snow and H9 can vouch for the DAC and the speaks. Paypal or money order will do the trick.

Thanks, Dave
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    Options
    How long is the sub cable
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    How long is the sub cable

Sorry, 2 meters, or just about 6.5 feet.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Hi,
    I think I want the monica. What kind of inputs and outputs does it have? Thanks
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I think I want the monica. What kind of inputs and outputs does it have? Thanks

Coax in to analog outs. No optical.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited October 2007
    Options
    When I used this with my oppo 970hd. CDs sounded tinny without it, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better DAC for the money.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • bikerboy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Hi,
    I would like to get it. I can paypal or your choice. PM me. Thanks
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • bikerboy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Hi,
    What type of power supply does it have? Thanks
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited October 2007
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Hi,
    What type of power supply does it have? Thanks
    It has a wall wart power supply.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Those Athena's were mine. I bought then new at Best Buy when they were closing them out about 2 years ago or so. I used them in my computer rig for a short time until I got the 5b's. Then they sat in the box in a closet for quite sometime until daboyz bought them locally at the beginning of the summer.

Nice little bookshelf speaker that really sounds better than it's retail price ($150) suggests. I would have kept them if I had any use for them at all. Very smooth top end and excellent midrange.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2007
    Options
    By with confidence from DaBoyz! Great guy to deal with.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys. I appreciate it!!:D

Dave
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited October 2007
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »
    By with confidence from DaBoyz! Great guy to deal with.

plus one +1
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited October 2007
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    3: Audioquest Sidewinder sub cable. Single amp to dual sub. Great cable,
    definitely much better than the Monster I was using. $20 shipped conus.

I might be interested in the AQ cable. Can I ask a stupid newbie question? I'm going to anyway. :D

What does "sidewinder" and "single to dual" mean? What makes this better than the Monster (I am assuming standard sub cable)?
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    "Sidewinder" is the model of AQ cable. It has a single plug for your amp end and then two for your right and left sub inputs. I found it to be more musical than the Monster. The lows blended sooooo much better with this cable than with the Monster I had. The difference was immediately noticeable. I hope this helps.

Dave
  • cambir
    edited October 2007
    Options
    "Sidewinder" is the model of AQ cable. It has a single plug for your amp end and then two for your right and left sub inputs. I found it to be more musical than the Monster. The lows blended sooooo much better with this cable than with the Monster I had. The difference was immediately noticeable. I hope this helps.

Dave

got it...sounds reasonable...pm on the way
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Cameron's been cool to talk and deal with. He kinda worked me on the cable;) :D but I'm glad he's getting it. I hope he enjoys it like I did!

Dave
  • cambir
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Cameron's been cool to talk and deal with. He kinda worked me on the cable;) :D but I'm glad he's getting it. I hope he enjoys it like I did!

Dave

...and if Dave has anything else still for sale, somebody buy it! He is great to deal with.

Yeah, I forced him into a deal I couldn't refuse! :D Looking forward to getting the cable!
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Bump. Still got the bookshelfs.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited October 2007
    Options
    no you don''t.

pm u later
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    They're yours amigo!!
  • bikerboy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Hi Dave,
    Got the Monica today. Works well now. Had a bit of a scare when I took it out of the box and there was something rattling around inside. Took the top off and it was the clock chip. Looked on the website and saw how it was orientated, installed it and all is well. Fast shipping, good packing. I guess the chip isnt soldered in and just fell out. Thanks for the new toy to play with.
  • daboyz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Whew, glad to hear!!!:D It sounded great once I got it oriented but I needed those Fxi5's. Enjoy!!!

Dave
  • cambir
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Dave,

The AQ sidewinder arrived today...looks great!

Got it hooked up, but I'm sure I'll have to "play" a little to really enjoy it. First listen tells me it is going to blend the sub more with the rest of the system to make it a little more seamless.

+1 sent to Shack for a great transaction. Thanks!