WOW! Bought used SDA 1's - what a change!

Options
TONYGVISINET
TONYGVISINET Posts: 24
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Hey folks... I wrote a thread about month ago here (in the Electronics Forum) asking about the best piece of equipment to replace for best improvement of volume on my system.

Most of the answers led me in the direction of doubling my wattage, some said adding bigger (and more effiecient speakers).
I did a lot of reading and ALMOST spent $1000 on a replacement AMP/Pre-Amp, but decided to try new speakers first.

Well, last week I found a deal on ebay for some used SDA 1's, (with the 4 drivers and 2 tweeters). I bought them for $431.

I brought them home and hooked them up, replacing my SDA 2b's (with the 2 drivers and one tweeter).

Man, I could not believe the improvement- and this is without my subwoofer (the PSB Subsonic II piece of **** died last month)! The imaging/soundstage was incredible. The volume was able to increase to over halfway without the NAD Amp Clipping. The fullness of sound was just so much better.

Now- how much better are the SDA 1's??? Is it because of their being much more efficient? (Anyone know what the specs were for the SDA 1's and 2b's???) Why is the amp & sound doing so much better with the new ones?

How much more expensive were they? I bought my SDA 2b's in 1990 for $1000. What could I sell them for right now?
Thanks and happy listening!
Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
Phase Technology Power 12 Sub
Polk SDA 1
NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
NAD 6340 Cassette
Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
Post edited by TONYGVISINET on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Ken Swauger can prolly hook you up with the specs for your SDA 1's.

Going price for a pair of 2B's seems to be ~4 franklins or so......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Nice job Tony. Was watching that auction.. way to bag 'em.

Troy's in the price neighborhood. Have seen a couple of II's, but no 2b's in while. II's went for mid-$400's to over $600.

Here's a picture of your boys.
    i-1.jpg 16.3K
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TONYGVISINET
    TONYGVISINET Posts: 24
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yes, actually I spoke to Ken about this big improvement this AM- he says that it is just due to having double the drivers and tweeters from before.

Thanks for the pic! What was the main difference between the 1's and the 1 a,b,c's?

Need to go listen again to beleive it!
    Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
    Phase Technology Power 12 Sub
    Polk SDA 1
    NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
    NAD 6340 Cassette
    Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tony here's a thread with a good deal of history on the SDA's..
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7139
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD