Can I simulate a tweeter?

Options
nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I want to simulate the load a tweeter puts on a crossover. Can I simply place a 4 ohm resistor between the neg and pos wires or will that short out the crossover? The point is to make the crossover think the load is there, but not actually have the tweeter hooked up. Thanks,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Why? I mean, what's the point? Why not just hook up a tweeter to actually PUT a 4ohm load on the crossover?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nadams
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    Why? I mean, what's the point? Why not just hook up a tweeter to actually PUT a 4ohm load on the crossover?

The speakers are under a desk and are meant for bass only. When I hook up the tweeters, I end up with really weird imaging... sounds bouncing around all over the place. I need to keep the crossover so that the subs aren't getting high frequencys, but the crossover doesn't like having an incomplete circuit.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by nadams

but the crossover doesn't like having an incomplete circuit.

nadams

what does this mean?

I would just leave the tweater ckt open and well insulated. No upper frequencies means less amplifier current draw overall.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nadams
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Look at this thread, and you might gain a better understanding.... if you make it to the end :-). It's quite a lengthy thread between Russ and myself.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • HBombToo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F001%5F004%5F000&Page=1

(8) 50 Ohm 10W resistors will get you to 6.25 Ohms @ 80 Watts power handling... close enough for government work. ;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    OOps... forgot the parallel part. :)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nadams
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    OOps... forgot the parallel part. :)

Thanks, this is what I was thinking of. I actually only need 4 ohms, but I'd need to do it for each channel. Parallel is pos to neg, right? Like how I have the speakers wired right now? (explained in the thread I linked to...)

Thanks again,

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You were doing all that testing with the bass set at +6?? Why?

So you start out with the Polks playing, sounds fine. You throw in a 4ohm woofer on each side and the highs appear to diminish? Does that surprise you? Then you add another tweeter to each side (by hooking back up the MA's) and the highs sound fine again... I'm not sure why you're surprised that adding in a low impedence woofer on each side affects the overall tonal quality.

Why don't you run the Polks on channel 1 and run the MAs on channel 2 with a volume control inline with them. And turn the bass back to zero. Then, you can turn the volume of the MAs up or down as you need to get a more balanced overall output.

You could have all sorts of impedence stuff going on with the MAs and the missing driver, given that impedence is a total system measure. Heck, maybe wire a pot onto the + and - of the MA tweeter outputs and change those.
  • HBombToo
    edited February 2003
    Options