What tweeter?

Options
ANWKLO
ANWKLO Posts: 173
edited October 2007 in Vintage Speakers
What is the model no. please? How to clean it?
Post edited by ANWKLO on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Options
    looks to be peerless to me....and what on earth is that on it?

You could try some Goo B Gone on a cloth if thats goo...looks sticky and nasty.....
  • ANWKLO
    edited October 2007
    Options
    It's on Monitor 5. I am loooking for an integrated amp for listening to music. Is Adcom good match with M5? Thanks.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Options
    ANWKLO wrote: »
    It's on Monitor 5. I am loooking for an integrated amp for listening to music. Is Adcom good match with M5? Thanks.

No no i meant the substance on the speaker. i knew it was a 5, i have the same speakers with the SL2000 tweeter

Yes, the adcom 535 is what I used on my 5's and it's awesome.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited October 2007
    Options
    yes and yes to Adcom and peerless tweets
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ANWKLO
    edited October 2007
    Options
    It was rusty and painted 15 years ago. I am consider to replace it with a new tweeter.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Options
    If they sound ok, just leave them, or try to clean them up a bit; you won't find a better tweeter for those speakers.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited October 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    yes and yes to Adcom and peerless tweets

That is the "famous" peerless. But it looks to be in rough shape, visually anyways. Looks like rust to me, those must have been in a very high humidity area or storage unit.

Adcom is a good match they do make a rare integrated, model GCA-510. They call it a control amp, but it has a passive line stage controller mated to a high gain amplifier section.

It offers switching, balance and volume. A very conservative 50 wpc. They come up on e-bay occasionally but they are pretty rare. I have one an it's a nice sounding ballsy little unit.

They were only sold in the UK and Canada for about 1 year, 1997.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ANWKLO
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks all,

The fuse holder at the back is rusty. Can it be replaced or cleaned?:)
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2007
    Options
    You could try cleaning it with some steel wool or a metal sand paper. Just don't go crazy and weaken the holder.

Did the original owner have them in a damp basement? They have alot of rust on them.

As long as they sound good you should be ok.

It also looks like they painted right over the rust without getting rid of it first. That is why that tweeter looks like that.

Be careful with that peerless. They sound nice and can't be replaced.
  • ANWKLO
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    You could try cleaning it with some steel wool or a metal sand paper. Just don't go crazy and weaken the holder.

Did the original owner have them in a damp basement? They have alot of rust on them.

As long as they sound good you should be ok.

It also looks like they painted right over the rust without getting rid of it first. That is why that tweeter looks like that.

Be careful with that peerless. They sound nice and can't be replaced.

I had been the original owner when I was a student. The area I lived was in high humidity. You are right. I painted right over the rust without getting rid of it first.:)