A Night-Time Story For The Ages

BobMcG
BobMcG Posts: 1,585
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Once upon a time, Polk designed a speaker that...

(You custom finish it with the kind of speaker you'd dream of Polk making.)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Speakers that don't require anything special, and are surrounds. Polk used to manufacture a small pair of speakers (Monitor 4 Jr's?) that already had surround extraction circuitry onboard. All you had to do was feed them a stereo signal, and they would "extract" the rear channel ambience, ala Hafler DynaQuad, and play ONLY the rear channel info. You could hook them up to the "B" spkr outputs on ANY stereo receiver, and have Hafler surround sound. Really versatile if you ask me. I'm sure they had a main/surround switch on them to de-activate the surround circuit and just use them as small mains. I actually had an opportunity to buy a demo pair about 1991 for $50 and I balked! It was up in Portsmouth, New Hampshire at a hi-fi shop that was husband and wife owned. Unfortunately, the shop was going under. They were getting divorced. Shame. EVERYTHING was on sale. I ended up buying a passive Parasound sub with dual 5 1/4" drivers brand new in the box for $50. Still have it. Brand new in the box.

My dream speaker would outperform the Amazing Platinum's, and only be half their size. Good luck. If it never occurs, no biggie. I am wildly happy with these, and would be surprised if their performance could be significantly surpassed, at any price point.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Originally posted by rwmcg
    Once upon a time, Polk designed a speaker that...

Outperformed EVERY speaker in and out of its class. A speaker that didn't need gimmics, or a jazzy port name...

A straight forward, honest to God, raw power, acoustic suspension, BIG heavy woofer(s), all passive drivers, a NEATO 3 - 4 - or 5 way crossover, HEAVY, LARGE, DYNAMIC. A speaker you never need to upgrade from....

A speaker that would make a statement about AUDIO, a speaker that can stand ALONE, top to bottom, and it would NOT have a matching center channel.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    George's thing. in wireless. I have so MANY wireless customers who are looking at these pos advent speaks for 199 total and are hella confused when it comes to hookup stuff. If there was a speaker that could fake surround sound mode from a 2 ch output that was wireless!! I could fix many problems. they could be batt. or ac converter. I'm not talking about HUGE quality either. The avid speaker cust. doesn't need wireless anyway. 249-299 range. Very HOT seller. Take the market somewhere it's never been. If you guys make millions of of my idea...

I also like the B. F. Speaker thing. But, as a joe six pack consultant, I think it's my job to say I like polks line up right now I want a speaker that's overly strong. I'm talking built like a tank. stuff that can take a beating from the amp and the kids with their loud rappitty music.

IF however, you guys are thinking about taking these ideas to heart, you should watch that HBO movie about the Bradley war apc that turned out to be a not so amphibious tank that held three people and wasn't fast enough to be an apc. The thing costed billions and was of no use. If you make too good of a speaker, the price will be so high you've changed your market from the numerous cc customer to the elite of the elite because of the price point.
  • mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    ...had an open airy, accurate sound that could play delicate nuances of acoustic strings, wood winds and female vocals. One that would image and portray a convincing 3D soundstage, yet could handle gobs of power and play at extreme spl's driven by monster monos. Ones that were built in high quality cabinet grade enclosures with real wood veneers and dual heavy guage binding posts. Ones that had massive internal bracing and tuned driver chambers. And most of all, ones that CAN'T be bought at CC, BB, GG, Sears, Wards, Kmart, Walmart or any other of a number of embarrasing places you can buy "audio" these days. How about a factory direct model that Ken and Barbie wouldn't be able to touch with their bottle return money and destroy by putting them out on the plywood deck hooked to a portable with lamp cord, the dog peeing on one and cousin Melvin putting his beer can and cigarette on top of the other while trying to get the kids to pull his finger?
  • BobMcG
    edited July 2001
    Come on my good man! This is all about a story-tale-like dream speaker, not about marketing strategy, production and sales and hitting price points for "Joe-six pack"?
  • BobMcG
    edited July 2001
    Right on! "F" Joe-six pack! I'm still LOL!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    What Mike said. That is my big beef is that a cabinet should blend with your decor (for my tastes) and not be distracting or call attention to itself.
    Having said that, I could care less where they are sold, personally. As long as the price is fair, within reason, who cashes my check is fairly irrelevant.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BobMcG
    edited July 2001
    I guess not many people have ideas about a dream speaker they'd like to see? I find that hard to believe!

Ok....
    For me, like Mike says, as he put it quite well, with this added to it.

Along with accuracy and fine open detail, my speaker would have to be around 92dB sens, be able to handle lots of power, in the range of 750cont watts to 1000cont watts (Sounding familiar?), and utilize SDA technology. The new SDAs would somehow be narrower...like maybe using an angled design for the SDA drivers to achive what they do now with width. (And we all know by now why SDAs are the width they are don't we? If not, read Polk's "SDA Designed In Stereo".) After designing, testing and tweaking, my SDA would be there, working like never before. Tall, beautiful, accurate, powerful, commanding! Must be heard to be believed (geesh, just like they are now) and a sight to behold, just not as wide a sight as before, due to the new design. This would be the speaker I'd like most to see roll out of Polk!