Intermediate Noob

Options
inmate-
inmate- Posts: 36
edited September 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
This is the take 2:P

Now i have a clearer understanding on sub/amp questions but still unclear... Please give me as much information as possible to help me understand you're choices!:D

CAR : Mitsubishi Eclipse

SUBS

goal is to make turn heads and have sick bass even make car alarms go off:P

2x 12" KICKER L7
OR
2x 12" Pioneer Premier TS-W3001D4
OR
2x 12" Alpine Type - x

AMP

Hifonics BXi 2006D
OR
Audiobahn A1500HCT
OR
Power Acoustik SL-3400D ( SL3400D )
OR
Pioneer Premier PRS-D2000SPL

Keep me informed and give details on brand names!
Post edited by inmate- on

Comments

• inmate-
    edited September 2007
    Options
    anyone? *hope in my eyes*
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Any of those subs will be fine.

Take either the Hifonics or the Pioneer amp.

Power Acoustic is an entry level budget amp and Audiobahn just blows.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2007
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Audiobahn just blows.
    I love you man
  • inmate-
    edited September 2007
    Options
    But is there a specific sub that would be better for the purpose i have in mind? I mean like if theres no differnece should i go for the one that i can get cheaper?... And should i have the same mentality towards the amp?

If its not to much to ask could i get some input on the subs/amp like brands

Pioneer vs Alpine vs Kicker

Hifonics vs Pioneer

Cause i can get the Hifonics cheaper than pioneer, and i can get the pioneer subs cheaper than the Kicker, and Alpine but you're saying that there all basically the same, (sound, loudness, clarity) is the same?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Dude, youre gonna have to do some research on your own. Go and listen to these different subs and amps and choose the ones you like best. We cant tell you which one you should buy.

That being said, I can give you some basics -

First off, a watt is a watt. 500 Kicker watts aint gonna be any different from 500 MTX watts. There is no difference in sound.

What you want in an amp is good clean power (i.e. an amp that easily and cleanly makes and hopefully exceeds its power ratings) and bullet proof build quality and be free of noise. Pretty much all the major brands will do this.

Subs are different as there are notable differences betwen them but Kicker, Pioneer and Alpine are good, quality brands and when you take the top of their lines in subs, there isnt going to be a big ton of differences. Kinda like comparing a BMW to a Mercedes and Audi. Theyre all excellent.

Go listen to them for yourself.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I like the screen name.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i dont think u will be setting off any car alarms with 2 12", u will def get some looks from the cars next to u though, and hopefully a few windows will be rolled up.

I did a ton of research before i bought my gear, for about a year and a half.

Ended up with MTX and Polk. :)
    What kind of music do u listen to ?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The Alpine Type X is a sound quality woofer IMO. I would choose the L7's over the Type X for what you are wanting to do. I like the old MTX 1501d amplifier to do what you are trying to do. I did two MTX 9500 series 12" woofers in a 4 Runner. I called MTX and told them what we wanted, they designed the box and I built it. This truck was loud. MTX has reinvented this amp under their new Thunder Elite line of amps. I will tell you that these woofers are extremely heavy and will definately add weight to your car. I would choose this amp over the Kicker ZX1500. There are internet companies that offer products you are looking for at a lower cost. Check out Soundsolutionsaudio.com for some nice product and good deals. The design of your car will definately aid you in building a loud car. The hatchback will give you a ton of sound out of a single 12. Take your electrical system and how much weight you want to add to your car into account before you make your purchase. The system I put in the 4 Runner required the owner to strengthen his rear suspension for the weight of the woofers and box and amps. On a personal note I think that the MTX and the Kicker lines are better quality than the Hifonics lines and I am wiht Macleod that the Audiobahn product is terrible.
  • inmate-
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i listen to rap, reggeton, techno, salsa, batchata, and you don't think 2 12" will set of any alarms? what would? and the would the L7's only sound better than the pioneer or alpines in a bigger box?
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i live just outside a very Mexican area where every friend night they roll up to a big shopping center and show of whats in their rides. Now most of the stuff is stolen, but u can see some good ****. I saw a guy bet another guy 5k that he could blow his back windows out, he had 4 15"s, and only set off 1 car alarm in the lot.
    I mean half the time thunder doesnt set a car alarm off. I mean i bump pretty hard with 2 10"s and make the cars next to me roll up the windows and i can see their mirror vibrating, but i dont think its even close at all to setting an alarm off.

Maybe im wrong.
    L7s ive heard hit retardedly hard and i think thats what this guy might have had in his navigator (the one the windows blew out of)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8