Problem with SDA2A

Options
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
After hearing all the hoopla about the SDA effect and having a pair come available at a reasonable price locally, I picked them up. Of course, the first thing I did when I got home was yank out the 11TL's and wire these up. Popped in a dvd and sat back to listen but I barely made it to my chair, this is maybe 30 sec max, when my receiver cuts out.

Now, I realize that a receiver isn't the best choice to run these but I know other people have done it with no problems. I've got a Denon 3805 and when I checked it, it wasn't even slightly warm. Rechecked all the connections and they were solid and wired correctly. The guy I bought these from didn't have a factory interconnect but made one out of what looks to be about 16ga wire. He soldered the ends (no connector) and just shoved it in the sockets and it worked fine for him. Any ideas?
"The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
Post edited by Disc Jockey on

Comments

• Disc Jockey
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Nevermind, I got it. I assumed :o the same wire would go on the top on both interconnect sockets but on one the large blade was on top and the other it was on the bottom.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    cool. so how do they sound to ya?

and congrats!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Disc Jockey
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I really enjoyed my 11TL's so I wasn't sure that these were going to be a big improvement, but they are :D I haven't had time to sit down and do some serious listening but what I have heard I really, really like. Well worth the 1.5 hour drive to go get them. No question they need the replacement tweets though, but I knew that going in to it.

Nice thing is, without any prompting from me at all, is my wife asked if we could figure out a way to use the 11TL's as rears. Ahhh, sweet marital bliss
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2007
    Options
    After hearing all the hoopla about the SDA effect

It's not really hoopla at all but a very clever marketing strategy by design, used and orchestrated by Polk with complete cooperation from the recording world.

You see, with the stereo drivers mainly hitting you right channel to right ear and left channel to left ear BUT the dimensional drivers kinda reversing this order with hits from right channel to left ear and left channel to right ear it works out to be the same as playing all of your recordings in reverse. You're actually listening to subliminal messages from Polk telling you that you are hearing better sound than you can believe and to keep buying Polk products.

What do you mean you don't believe me? :eek:

Alright, have it you're way. Enjoy your venture into the land of SDA. :D
  • Disc Jockey
    edited September 2007
    Options
    BobMcG wrote: »
    It's not really hoopla at all but a very clever marketing strategy by design, used and orchestrated by Polk with complete cooperation from the recording world.

You see, with the stereo drivers mainly hitting you right channel to right ear and left channel to left ear BUT the dimensional drivers kinda reversing this order with hits from right channel to left ear and left channel to right ear it works out to be the same as playing all of your recordings in reverse. You're actually listening to subliminal messages from Polk telling you that you are hearing better sound than you can believe and to keep buying Polk products.

What do you mean you don't believe me? :eek:

Alright, have it you're way. Enjoy your venture into the land of SDA. :D

That's why I wear my tinfoil hat during extended listening sessions.