DVD Audio & SACD into one input?

xfontanax
xfontanax Posts: 82
edited February 2003 in Electronics
For those who have both DVD Audio and SACD, how are they hooked up if one only has one 5.1 input? What's a good way to do this without breaking the bank?
Post edited by xfontanax on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2003
    Not clear on the question. Is it that you have both players and only a single 5.1 input on your pre-amp section or are you looking for a player that does both formats? As far as the analog only output on a SACD player you must use 6 seperate RCA connectors. You can thank the RIAA for the no digital output of SACD. This is yet another reason why I'm waiting for the format to change to a more secure digital output, so money can be saved on using seperate cables for each channel.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    I'm thinking some RCA Y-Splitters may help. Not sure what happens when you send an output signal from one unit and have the other unit still connected (maybe keep it powered off?) The alternatives would be to find some sort of switching unit between the two sources, get a receiver with two 5.1 analog inputs, or get a combo DVD-A/SACD player such as the Onkyo DV-SP800 or similar unit.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    I'm thinking some RCA Y-Splitters may help. Not sure what happens when you send an output signal from one unit and have the other unit still connected (maybe keep it powered off?)

You cannot use 6 Y cables. It simply will not work even if you try to turn one off and run the other.

A Sony TA-P9000ES multi channel preamp with multiple 5.1 inputs is an option but hard to find and pricey ($500).

HERE is a less expensive option than the Sony pre-amp but still a little pricey at $200.

A cheaper ($30) but not as nice option is to use 2 Radio Shack A/V switch boxes #15-1952 to switch between SACD and DVD-Audio. Each switch box has two A/V inputs (left and right audio and composite video) and one output. The inputs are marked 'A' and 'B', and there is an A/B switch on the top of the box. Here is how to use the switch boxes:

Box 1
    Input A: DVD-Audio front left, front right, and center
    Input B: SACD front left, front right, and center
    Output: Front left, front right, and center to receiver's 5.1-channel inputs

Box 2
    Input A: DVD-Audio rear left, rear right, and subwoofer
    Input B: SACD rear left, rear right, and subwoofer
    Output: Rear left, and rear right, and subwoofer to receiver's 5.1-channel inputs.

HERE is a link.

Of course you have to have 9 sets of interconnects to make it all work which can jack up the price.

The cost of having 2 different sources for SACD and DVD-A makes an all in one player more attractive.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2003
    I use the Radio Shack switching boxes method and haven't noticed any degradation of the sound quality despite the extra cabling and switching. The number of cables required is a drain on the wallet though--moreso than the boxes. Maybe in a couple of years new multi-format machines will all have a type of firewire interface with one cable, but I won't count on it.
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited January 2003
    Agree with Tony. Get a combo unit like the Pioneer Elite DV45a for $450. Yamaha has a new one too, but it's about a grand.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    I read in S&V mag that the new generations of SACD players will offer a single digital connector.. but only to it's same brand receiver/preamp.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • gene stangel
    gene stangel Posts: 35
    edited January 2003
    Hi, I solved this problem by using two Terk A/V switchers, got at one call.com for $29.95 each. It switches between four video & audio inputs and one output. I used one for the center & front using the video as audio and the other for the sub & surrounds.
    Works great and does not degrade the sound to my ears. I too had to have both and this setup makes an A-B comparison easy to do. I also do not have a sub and mixed the sub output on each player into the mains and picked up significant bass improvement especially from dvd-audio. Hope it works.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    Shack,
    I settled down on the ratshack solution, and it works perfectly with no noticable degradation of the sound. Obviously it's not as elegant as the ta-p9000es solution, but it cost $26 vs. $500 (even as high as $760) Thanks for the solution!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Great, you're welcome. I'm glad it works for you.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson