What will happen if the Sub box i have isn't completely vaccuum

BigSubBoomer
BigSubBoomer Posts: 19
edited September 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
What will happen if the Sub box i have isn't completely vaccuumed.

So, if there is a hole or something how drastically will my sounds quality drop if at all?
Post edited by BigSubBoomer on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    it will **** alot !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BigSubBoomer
    BigSubBoomer Posts: 19
    edited September 2007
    yeah but no damage right?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    No damage and if the hole is small enough its doubtful youd even notice. At most you could get some wicked port noise from the pressure of the air coming thru there.

Still, its a real good idea to build it as solid as possible and to seal it as best you can. Run down to Lowes and pick up some silicone sealant and go to town.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    It won't be suitable for space flight.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    and it will ****...!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2007
    If you use silicon sealant like Mac suggested make sure you leave the box empty for a few days. the vapors from curing silicon can damage the surround of your sub!
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    I use Liquid Nails, seems to work really good.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    i like to weld my edges, and then cover them with concrete, makes for a strong box, and it makes it hard for a crook to take it out of your trunk.

Hope this was helpful :)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2007
    you guys work too hard all you need is an old cardboard amsoil box and some duct tape
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    o shoot, good work. where can i find a small amp like that?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited September 2007
    it also depends on the box type, and how big the potential hole is.

If it is sealed, it can make a huge difference.
    If it is ported, still a difference, but lesser.

But no, in essence, you cannot 'hurt' the sub, unless there is some weird anomaly.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited September 2007
    Use good quality silicone. I use window and door type. It is more expensive, about $5.50 a tube, but it doesn't smell and usually only needs about 8 hours of drying time. I usually let is dry over night. Most of the boxes that are built right and still covered with carpet will allow some air to move in and out of the box around that seal. Use a gasket if possible on the speaker. If the speaker doesn't come with a gasket I usually make one out of cork. For best results try not to use carpet as the speaker seal.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    my MTX box has carpet as a seal? does it make that much of a diffrence? should i disassemble it and make one?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2007
    I think there needs to be a "no home audio guys allowed" rule on this side.

:p:D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2007
    Your eyes will pop out of your head and you will have the inexplicable urge to say 'Give dis people air!'.

Edit: Oh wait a minute..that's what would happen if you had a complete vacuum. Carry on.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2007
    my MTX box has carpet as a seal? does it make that much of a diffrence? should i disassemble it and make one?

I doubt MTX would build a box and use carpet to seal it. If its an MTX box, its sealed and built properly.

• eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    its an mtx empty box, do the momos have a gasket?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    i mean ther isnt a seal between my subs and the openings, the rest of it was sealed with a black resin i can see
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2007
    If its screwed down tight, itll be fine.

• Installer4life
    edited September 2007
    MTX builds all the boxes for Circuit City even the unloaded ones and they use carpet as a gasket. If you build a box you can plan ahead not to use carpet as a gasket. Most pre-fab boxes will use carpet. Of course most pre-fabe boxes are not built specifically for any one subwoofer. Custom built boxes, that are built properly, have the correct size hole for the given woofer as well as the correct internal volume. When I build them I always build a flush panel for the woofer which allows me the ability to trim in carpet but use a better sealing material for the gasket. It also makes the mounting service stronger because it is thicker (2 pieces of MDF). Since most woofers are designed to work in both sealed and ported enclosures you will still get pretty good response out of a pre-fab enclosure but you will not get the best response. If the box leaks the woofer doesn't have as much force on the suspension therefore your power handling will probalby be less and you will lose some performance. The older Polk MM12 woofer/enclosure combination is a good example. That box was air tight. You could hardly push the woofer in and that is one of the reasons why it performed so well. I build my sub enclosures this way because it is the best way to do it. It takes very little extra effort to do it right and that is what I recommend. If the "home audio guys" quote was aimed at me I hate to disappoint you, I am a car audio guy with over 20 years experience and I just believe in doing things the right way. There are entirely to many sub par car audio installers in the industry. I believe in teaching people the right way to do it an not the "ok" way. I have seen people pay thousands of dollars for equipment only to have second rate installers do a botched install job and these people never really get to enjoy all the performance they paid for. You can "get by" with a lot of things in this industry but that is not the way I think.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    hey, i got 125 buck mtx box for 25 bucks thanks to my employee discount.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I think there needs to be a "no home audio guys allowed" rule on this side.

:p:D

now wait a min. Nobody had any problems with my amp recommendations in another thread on your sacred car audio forums. sorry, I for got you guys don't like humor.:p :rolleyes: :D
    It takes very little extra effort to do it right and that is what I recommend. If the "home audio guys" quote was aimed at me I hate to disappoint you, I am a car audio guy with over 20 years experience and I just believe in doing things the right way. There are entirely to many sub par car audio installers in the industry. I believe in teaching people the right way to do it an not the "ok" way. I have seen people pay thousands of dollars for equipment only to have second rate installers do a botched install job and these people never really get to enjoy all the performance they paid for. You can "get by" with a lot of things in this industry but that is not the way I think.

I agree, and I'm sorry I only have 15 years experience
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2007
    now wait a min. Nobody had any problems with my amp recommendations in another thread on your sacred car audio forums. sorry, I for got you guys don't like humor.:p :rolleyes: :D

Sure we like humor.

We love to sit around and laugh at the $50 extension cords you guys use!

**runs and hides**

:D:p

• Installer4life
    edited September 2007
    hey, i got 125 buck mtx box for 25 bucks thanks to my employee discount.

Thats a nice discount. Who do you work for?
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2007
    'Give dis people air!'.

Darla, way to seamlessly (or hole-less-ly) work in a Total Recall quote.

2 points for you.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Darla, way to seamlessly (or hole-less-ly) work in a Total Recall quote.

2 points for you.

Yay! 3 more and I can send off for my Super Secret Spy decoder.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.