Home Theater Audio on a budget 7.1 system

Options
sj22
sj22 Posts: 8
edited September 2007 in Speakers
Greetings:
I am finishing up my basement and wishes to put an audio system. Total size of the basement is about 1800 sq feet. The basement it self is about 1800 sq feet - I have three rooms including the utility room. The area i am putting in the home theater is about 17 feet wide and 36 feet long. There will be two couches between 21 and 26 feet on the long side. I will be facing the 25 feet wide wall and plan to put the Left, Rigt and Center on the front wall. There is a 40 feet soffit running on both sides. I will mount the first set of two speakers on the sofit at 21' and the second set of two speakers at 26'. The sub will be placed inside a closet - just the face exposed at about 21 feet. The general listening area will be this 17x36. Specific listening area will be where the couch is going to be. There is also one open space to the left on this 17x36 and two open spaces to the right of the 17x36. The left area is 18L x 14W and starts at the top left of the 17x36. The right area one starts at the right top of the 17x36 and the dims are 11L x 15W. the right area two starts at the right bottom of 17x36 and is 5Lx11W. Ceiling will be drywall finished. more to follow on next post - Thanks/Shaw
Post edited by sj22 on

Comments

• sj22
    edited September 2007
    Options
    My budget is $1500 for receiver and speakers. I know I cannot get the best with that budget. My goal is to get a decent system - best value for the money. I am open to buying used speakers/system too.

I went online http://www.hififorless.com/categorie...categoryid=576
    and saw
    NX-PRO8330 8" 3-way in wall speakers
    150 watt. frequency response: 35Hz - 22KHz $200 for two

NXG PRO 6" 3 WAY IN- WAL LOUDSPEAKER
    120 watt. 38Hz - 22KHz $340 for four

center ch speaker
    NX-PRO5520CLR
    NXG PRO DUAL 5" 2-WAY CENTER CH SPEAKER
    120watt. 45Hz-22kHz; 89dB sensitivity $120 for one

http://www.hififorless.com/categories.php?categoryid=65
    SUBwoofer BIC America model V-1220 $200
    12" Down-Firing Powered Subwoofer - 200 watts RMS, 430 watts peak
    23–180 Hz variable crossover speaker level and RCA inputs
    Auto on/off signal sensing circuitry

Receiver Onkyo TX-SR505 ($300) or TX-SR575 ($400)
    Total $1160
    --

Could somone pls review the products listed and give me some advise on what to buy and where to buy from.

Thanks
    Shaw
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Welcome, Shaw..........

Filling rooms that large with good sound might be difficult using inwalls and a closet sub powered by a receiver.

I would look around on this and other home theater forums as much as possible to gather what others are doing for similar rooms and then try to listen to as much of those types/brands of gear as you can. Ordering gear online simply by comparing specs rarely yields great results. This is really true for speakers, let alone inwall types as all walls are different.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I would go rti10s or 8s, csi5 center, Sub, FXi3s Rti4s. Are you planning on a projector and screen?
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • sj22
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thank you Dennis and Sherardp

Yes, I am planning to have a projector and screen too.

Sherardp,
    Can you elaborate on the recommendations - like manufacturer name along with the model numbers and rough pricing if you know it

Thanks
    Shaw
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Although I am a Polk Audio fan, for the size room you have and the budget I would look at the Boston VR2 towers on sale for $500 pair, and the Boston VRC center on sale for $250 at Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com). You could add a couple of cheap side surrounds and a decent receiver, and have a system that would at least make an attempt at filling the room size you have with sound.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The models I speak of are from Polk Audio, you should be able to find great deals on them since the new models are coming out.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    edited September 2007
    Options
    That is a big room and you will need good power. Last thing you want is is skimp out on power, turn it up to try to fill your room and blow your investment.
  • sj22
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dkg999,
    Can I put the Boston VR2 and VRC center at 6 foot height from the floor; 42" in between the VR2 towers; and hidden in the wall with only the face of exposed out? The ceiling height is 9 foot in the basement. I have a direct vent fireplace and is doing rough framing now and I can prewire and have the cavity for the VR2 and VRC above the fireplace.
    The drop down screen for the projector will be about 2 feet in front of the VR2/VRC - will the screen reduce the sound from speakers?

Sherardp,
    what would be a comparable polk audio unit ?

Willow,
    if I size my receiver to put out max 120W and the speakers are rated 150W, can I still damage the speakers ?

Thanks!
    -Shaw
  • Willow
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The receivers you mentioned are not going to come close to putting out 100+wpc. You will either need to buy a very expensive receiver, or buy a decent AVR and buy external amplification. So to answer your question, if you are pushing real 120wpc on your 130 rated wpc speakers you will be fine. Over powering doesn't harm your speakers like underpowering them does(can).
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2007
    Options
    You could put your speakers at that level and spacing, but the general recommendation is to have the tweeters at the height of your ears when you are in the listening/viewing position. Unless you get one of the screens that lets sound through, the screen will block the sound.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • sj22
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Willow,
    Tks, I learned something new - never thought under powering can harm speakers. I will try to match the speaker with the receiver

dkg999,
    I will start looking for a sound passing projector screen

I posted a wanted ad in the classified section of this website

-Shaw
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Welcome Shaw, sounds like a nice room you're putting together there. Like Willow and dkg999 mentioned, you're going to want to think about additional amps.

Good luck with your build and enjoy!!
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • Willow
    edited September 2007
    Options
    FWIW I am powering my csi3 (rated to 180w) with 200w, never had any issues.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    FWIW I am powering my csi3 (rated to 180w) with 200w, never had any issues.

I am powering my LSi15's (rated at 250w), LSiC (rated at 200w) and LSi7's (rated at 150w) with 500w and never had any issues either (but do have to use some common sense).

It is much easier to blow speakers with not enough power rather than to much. If you really try though, you can accomplish it either way.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • sj22
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thank you G-2, McLoki
    I got a private message in reply to the wanted ad i posted in classifieds, but I am unable to respond to it since I do not have enough credits. Is there a way to get in touch with this person?

>>>>>
    system for sale
    I have a system up for sale, look for my post in the flea market. Rti-70's,
    Csi-40, Denon 3803 and can complete it for a 5.1 (less sub) with a pair of
    Fxi-50's if needed. Let me know.

Thanks
    Dave shepard
    join date jan 2003
    location w. pa
    posts 926

====

-Shaw
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I PM'ed him for you. He should respond in this thread shortly.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2007
    Options
    PM sent with contact info.
    Thanks for the PM letting me know McLoki.

Dave
  • sj22
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thanks McLoki.
    Dave - I got you PM at 1045pm (1145 pm eastern) - Will call you tomm. In the meantime, could you please look at my needs and make suggestion on what I can use that you have and what else I need to get

Rgds
    -Shaw