SDA tweeter wiring, and more

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
ok. until the SDA compendium gets here from Dark i am stumped.

i am replacing the SL2000 tweeters in a pair of SDA 2B's with the RD0's cool right?

on the left SDA 2B on the SL2000 when I removed it.. the white wire was going to POS and black wire to NEG

on the right SDA 2B it's just the opposite.. black wire goes to POS and white wire to NEG :confused: should they be like that? or which one is wired correctly?

another weird thing.. the left stereo driver was dead.. so i pulled it out. it's labled MW6503 ? the manual I have for the 2B's says the stereo driver should be MW6510
So I pulled out a MW6510 from my 2A's and put in the 2B's like it's suppose to have.. sounds good again.

Maybe someone at one time replaced the stereo mid bass driver with the wrong one. :confused:
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    edited September 2007
    Options
    on the right SDA 2B it's just the opposite.. black wire goes to POS and white wire to NEG should they be like that? or which one is wired correctly?

Both should be wired as above. You can easily check for proper wiring by looking at the crossover. At the connector on the board, you'll see + and - markings, black should be + and white should be -.

Do you have the right manual, the stereo drivers should be 6503's, the dimensional drivers should be 6511's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    yup Jesse, I have the manual for the 2A and the addendum to the instruction manual which covers the 2B, 1C and SRS-2A

the addendum lists the stereo driver as MW6510 and the dimensional one as MW6511 for the 2B's

no where in the lit does is say anything about MW6503
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I believe my 2B's have 6510 for the stereo drivers also and 6511 for dimensional drivers.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The schematics say 6503's and 6511's for all versions of the 2B's. My 2B's have 6503's and considering that yours came with the same, I'd say it's a safe bet that it's the right driver.

As far as the addendum, I'd have to question it as the SDA 2A's use 6510's in both, the 1C's use the 6510 as the dimensional and the 6511 as the stereo, which is opposite of what your addendum states.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    agreed... i need to replace the 6503 with another of the same.... 6503's are tougher to come by than 6510's. :(
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Here is an auction for 4 of them if you need that many.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited September 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The schematics say 6503's and 6511's for all versions of the 2B's. My 2B's have 6503's and considering that yours came with the same, I'd say it's a safe bet that it's the right driver.

As far as the addendum, I'd have to question it as the SDA 2A's use 6510's in both, the 1C's use the 6510 as the dimensional and the 6511 as the stereo.

I just pulled the drivers. I stand corrected. I will now sit in the corner.

6503 for stereo driver and 6511 for dimensional driver. Dated December 1988.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    Here is an auction for 4 of them if you need that many.

yeah, i'm watching those very closely.. ;)

maybe if a Polkie from here gets them. i could buy one off of them :)
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Polk has 6503's.

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Polk has 6503's.

really? Hmmmm, worth a call.
    thanks
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The SRS 2 PDF File posted crossover shows 6510 for dimensional, and 6511 for stereo.
    Where are we coming up with 6503's ?
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Both should be wired as above. You can easily check for proper wiring by looking at the crossover. At the connector on the board, you'll see + and - markings, black should be + and white should be -.

Do you have the right manual, the stereo drivers should be 6503's, the dimensional drivers should be 6511's.
    F1, are you referring to the SRS 2's or the SDA 2's ?
    SRS 2's are 6510 dimensional and 6511 stereo, at lest the later versions are, according to the posted schematics.
  • avguytx
    edited September 2007
    Options
    They are talking about the SDA 2B's.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thank you, Kip.

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    SDA 2B to be exact ;)

as I said before. it's just weird but not unheard of.. that my addendum says it should have a MW6510 but Jesse is right.. if they came with Mw6503's, then that's what I should use

anyone know what one costs new from Polk?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Probably a couple grand.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • avguytx
    edited September 2007
    Options
    :D Wait, hell I have a couple here I'll let go for the low, low price of HALF of that!
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I hope you both get jock itch, real bad. ;)
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    the MW6503 arrived today.. and it's now installed and being burned in with the SDA 2B's. it's stiffer than the old ones.. i assume it's because it's new and the rubber is still very tight. looks nice too.