How to repair a bumped corner....

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited February 2003 in Speakers
Is there anything on the market avail to stop a chip from spreading? Sorta using the nail polish on hose idea, anything that would keep something from expanding over time on a pair of speakers?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited February 2003
    Options
    What are the speakers made of? Real wood, particle board, medium density fiberboard?
    Minwax makes a product called High Performance Wood Filler. It's a two part polymer type product that you mix together, slap it on, let it dry, sand it smooth, and paint it. I've had a lot of luck using it on some real wood patches and fixes thru the years. Don't know why it wouldn't work on the 'wanna be' wood products. About $12.00.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I was bringing my RT16's in from the car and while trying to avoid the dangerously positioned carpet spikes, I bumped the top back edge into a concrete pillar while walking by. DOH!!!! It's a real wood veneer and I believe MDF underneath. If I was missing a massive chunk, I might look at a patch like that GZ, but it's just the edge that's slightly bumped. Plus, then I couldn't match the color of the speaker. Maybe I'll just whip out the good ol Black Sharpie. :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited February 2003
    Options
    brett,

Don't use the sharpie. Send me a picture of the damage and I'll tell you what would work best. By the sound of it you might be able to use a professional touch up marker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I didn't have a cam and did use the Sharpie on one of the speakers. When I have moved the speakers, I put them in the backseat of my car and have slid them in and roughed up the back edges a lil bit. Nothing major by any means, and certainly not something anyone would generally see, but I did the Sharpie on one and it looks fine. I haven't done anything with the other speaker, but what's the difference between using a Sharpie and a professional marker F1?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Brett,

If the Sharpie is doing the trick, great. The difference may not be worth talking about since your finish is black, but the Sharpie is for writing and the pro marker is used for touch up work in the furniture repair business. You generally get better results with the pro markers.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk