Help??

Options
hutch717
hutch717 Posts: 5
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
Questions that need answers...

I have a HK AVR running my RT600 (fronts), CS245i (center), and RT25i (rears), however the entire systems lacks the punch and "Polkness" that I am used to hearing.

I have believe that I have tried all the amps settings and none seem to "make her sing", unless I run the RT600s by themselves.

This amp should power these and a sub without a problem?!?
Any suggestions??
Post edited by hutch717 on

Comments

• schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited November 2001
    Options
    What model is your receiver?
  • hutch717
    edited November 2001
    Options
    The Harmon Kardon is an AVR40 (65w to each front channel or 55w to all on a Prologic setup).
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited November 2001
    Options
    well, this is my two bits......when I picked up the avr310 to (replace my JVC 6100) I thought that I may be encountering what you may have been going thru......I though with a better receceiver and at high current my system should run with more punch/louder as you has said, but my conclusion is that I'm for going the punch for higher quality of music that is clearer and with less distortion. I'm getting use to it more and more as I spend more time listening to my sytem.

dc.
  • schumach
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I owned an AVR 40 before I got my AVR 500. With the AVR 40 I would set the center to small and it would do fine. My system with the AVR 40 were the RT1000p for fronts, small JBL center and rears. I would use the wrap feature of the AVR 40 to help with the sound and I also spent time calibrating the speakers. Are you running a sub out of you system? With the AVR 500 I have the RT1000p for fronts, CS400i for the center and f/x300i for the rears and the receiver has no problem driving these. If you are looking to upgrade your receiver and do not want to spend a chunk of change goto www.harmanaudio.com and look at the refurbished units. They used to have AVR 500's for $325.00. I hope this will help.
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    Options
    onecall.com has the avr-310 for $380 plus shipping. i picked mine up about a month ago and have been using it ever since. it has no problem at all driving my 7500 satellites and my 650 sub. if your money isn't that hard to come by, you might want to check out the new avr-320. it's a few hundred more but it's got a couple of cool new features (dpl2, dts-es, neo6).. hope this helps.

joe :D
  • hutch717
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I appreciate the insight from all of you-

I do, however, prefer to stick with my AVR40 for now. I have set the center to small (whcih sounds fine) and the rears are adjusted all the way up (I've tried the entire range, but they still sound weak).
    I do use both the wrap and the center boost feature with contour; The main gripe is the lack of sound from the rear.

I seem to be able to push the center across a wide range (from decent to over compensated) with the various AVR features.
    The rear channel is the one that seems to be non-existent to fair, at best.
  • schumach
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I think I have an answer to your question. The AVR 40 is only 25W to each rear speaker. The RT25i recommends using 20-100W. You only have 5W to play with on your current receiver. I hope this helps.
  • hutch717
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Are the R25i to "big" for my rear channel or system? Maybe thatn the R15i are a better choice for overall matching??
  • schumach
    edited November 2001
    Options
    The RT15i still requires 20W to power. You need to find a speaker that does not require as much power, or you need to upgrade your receiver.
  • schumach
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I had somebody I know try the RT10's on an AVR 40 and he said the sound was great and the volume level was good. These might be the speakers you need for the rears.
  • hutch717
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Thanks for the input and suggestions!!
    Hutch717
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I hate to see anybody downgrade speakers. Unless of course you want to give me a deal on those 25s. You may just need more power in back. I haven't actually done the test, but I'm interested in the nOrh MultiAmp. It's reasonably priced and you can hook it up to your rears for that extra punch that most Polks need and deserve. It can be hooked up speaker-out/amp/speaker. It should add an extra 100 watts to your rears.

How thick is your speaker wire?
    Make it Funky! :)