Where Are You Going

2»

Comments

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited January 2003
    rlw

I have to disagree about the morons. We can think. We just don't always think right.

Subs cause dain bramage? Well you could be right about that, but I would really like to see the scientific evidence.

joe
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited January 2003
    The topic was where are you going.It can be easily misunderstood even though it is in a 2 channel forum.Thinking is as thinking does.Whatcha gonna do.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2003
    Well, where would I like to go?

Hmmm, after seeing George Grand's stereo setup, I think I'd want to try to duplicate that for a stereo. I'd try the Carver amps but I'd have to try tube amps too. Maybe 2 stereos. One with tubes and one with a solid state.

As far as home theater goes, I'd want an SRT system from Polk powered by Carver amps with Onkyo electronics. Even if I had the bank, I wouldn't want to break it. It's just that 35 active drivers in one unit is pretty freaking impressive! The center channel would be a Cs1000p and if I could find F/x 1000's around, those would be the surrounds. Probably dual PSW1200s for subs. The screen would be one of those overhead projectors on a 106" screen. Any one would do just fine, don't really have a preference for it. I think I would be set then and the WOW! factor would be off the charts! I don't think my neighbors would be happy with me though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    im going to skool in the moring....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited February 2003
    i have my tfm-35 powering my monitor 7's and a m4.0t powering my monitor 12's and it all sounds good never heard them with the rt or lsi line.

scott:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Jsta's

Be carefull trying to mate Carver with anything other than Polks SDA series. My experience with Carver and the RT and LSi line was almost torture to the ears...

The Carver's seem to be cold and harsh. To me, even the SDA'S don't make them very musical. I've given up trying to get what I want out of any of the Carver designs. Even the tube style outputs only give you the worst of both SS and tube designs. They are good for power but as far as being musical, I think many other amps are superior. Good for the price though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • madmax
    edited February 2003
    Cold and sterile may be a better description rather than cold and harsh.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited February 2003
    On a side note for the Carvers, Michael Jackson uses stacks of them for his sound. Most of his material is very dynamic and the Carver power suppy delivers. When you require massive clean power peaks not much else will keep up with them. I'm keeping mine for HT and dynamic stuff where they really strut!
    madmax

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Im getting a pioneer elite in a month or so....thats where im going
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Since my SRS’s are to be the cornerstones of my HT, I went after and won a pair of Maggie 1.5’s on e-bay for 2 ch duty. I will pick them up this weekend (just a little trip to the hill country). I’m going to start from there and build back to my dual-zone B&K AVP. Right now my Carver M1.5t is slated for the middle, but we’ll see. It is also a candidate for sub duty in the HT.

I auditioned the Maggie 1.6’s last Saturday to help me in my decision to pursue the 1.5’s. They were fantastic on some of my material and not so on other. Fortunately the material they did not handle all that well, sounds great on my SRS’s and vice versa. I think they’ll be very happy neighbors for years to come.

As to Carver’s being harsh? Never to my ears, but mine’s been mated to my SRS’s for several years. I will say that a couple of years ago I had to send it to Carver for a left channel repair. As mine is an early model they "upgraded" it for me, no extra charge. It did come back sounding noticeably warmer, sweeter. Prior to its SRS duties, it made a pair of mid-line Yamahas “sing” quite nicely for a couple years.

If I don’t like the Maggie-Carver marriage, no prob’s, I’ll divorce ‘em and go get some e-bay B&K 2 ch power… It was all B&K in front of the 1.6’s. One of the beauties of building 2 ch rigs right now is that there is so much quality used gear out there on the cheap. :D

On the HT side there are still the sub(s) and center channel(s) to nab, and a source or two to sort out, but where I’m going is getting close to being where I is… :)

Edit: – I just took a look at some of the earlier posts about this being a 2 ch thread. Please excuse the HT talk sprinkled in the above, but their paths are a bit intertwined here. And sorry if I disappoint, but I may even play with borrowing an HT sub to support my Maggies. Lastly, if it’s illegal, either at the Federal or Texas state level, to reduce your HT rig to 2 ch for any period of time, please let me know. I don’t want to end up in jail here… ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited February 2003
    Hey tour2ma

If you decide to lrt the M1.5t go let me know I want it. Just ckicl on my profile my e-mail address is there. I loved my SDA/Carver set-up.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Thanks, but it'll always have a home, and a use, here.

Even been toying with finding it a mate. Have always had this little demon drivng me to run a pair bridged to my SRS's... maybe later.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited February 2003
    Are you sure your not hooked up to this amp? lol....u seem to have more energy than me!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • jmasterj
    edited February 2003
    Short term,

I'm looking at the Outlaw audio Pre/pro and 5 channel amp, because I already own a 250/2 Carver. Lsi15, center. and surrounds. A AH NJOE TJOEB 4000 pronounced " New Tube 4000" with true 24/192 Upsampling for just about $ 898. Pioneer 47ai combo player. Cool

Long term

B&W Signature 800
    Manley. or McIntosh Tube
    New Vista
  • jmasterj
    edited March 2003
    Check that,

Just had a visit from the guy who wants to buy my RT speakers He brought his wife with him. She wanted to hear them. We listened to some SACD, and DVD Audio music. Then I put in Blade II. All she said was "Did you hear when that blood hit the wall wow" I think I got a sale. Waiting for the income tax refund check to come back. LSi 15's come-on now!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Right now, Im heading the seperates root......
    Pioneer Elite VSX-41
    (2) Adcom GFA-545II
    (1) Adcom GFA-535II
    I then will be on the search for bigger mains and center.
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    edited March 2003
    Sid, I know you're on a time line, but I think I know where you might get a GFA-535I for <$180 now and maybe a ways on down the line.
    Don't think the seller is in a big hurry.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Sid, I know you're on a time line, but I think I know where you might get a GFA-535I for <$180 now and maybe a ways on down the line.
    Don't think the seller is in a big hurry.
    I can get it for 100 on ebay. But thanks. Lol first I need money!
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC