New SVS Thermonuclear Device

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_b4_plus.htm

Classified as a weapon of mass destruction, the SVS B4 Plus has no equal. Anywhere. At any price. Period.

Capable of belting out upwards of 130 dB of clean bass without strain in a 6,000+ ft3 room.

Rated for amps between 1500 and 3000 watts.

Four (count 'em, four) TC Sounds dB-12 Plus drivers. Four high flow 4" flared ports. Push pull configuration with proprietary internal venting arrangement.

Furniture grade finish, shipped to your door. Nearly 200 pounds of sophisticated, refined, wrecking ball.

Krell, Wilson, Aerial, Velodyne, REL - sorry, better run and hide.

At less than $2000 unfinished (not advertised but can be had this way if requested), this is THE sub to own if you have a huge room to fill with world class bass. Equivalent to 4 SVS Ultra's in output and extension.

Pair it up with a QSC RMX2450 2,400 watt amp bridged into 4 ohms for $400, and you're off to the races.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen ([email protected])
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2003
    Capable of belting out upwards of 130 dB of clean bass without strain
    At what Hz?

This thing should darken up those white shorts.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Unbelievable - and unfortunately for me, unaffordable as well. :(
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited February 2003
    Must...stop...drooling...

That is freaking incredible.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Ron-P

At what Hz?

This thing should darken up those white shorts.

Peace Out~:D

With all 4 ports open, the sub is tuned to about 23 Hz and can crank-out about 127 dB in a 6000 ft3 room at anything over that frequency. Plug a port or two and extension drops well into the teens with not much loss of volume.

Plug three ports and tuning drops into the single digits with SPL still to spare.

Remember, this is in a HUGE room. Place this **** in an average (2000 ft3) or even large (3000 ft3) room, and it will cause structural damage. The designer has measured over 140 dB in typical HT rooms.

SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    dam 140 that is car levels. that is prety sweet output for 4 12. i will have 2 15 and plan on hitting 120db but i tuned it low and lost about 2 db at 22hz but the box svs looks sweet but is bog as a large tv. but dang 140. i have experanced 126 db and that is loud i cant amigane 140
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2003
    Where are they hiding all the woofers at? I only see one on each end. Two down-firing or something?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    "I'm not worthy" - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SVS just made ALL makers of subs just bow down.
    Not to mention the price tag.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    If I could I'd like to borrow a line from Frank..
    "Jesus H. Tap Dancin' Christ!"
    Doc,
    Were you on the product development committee here or something?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Where are they hiding all the woofers at? I only see one on each end. Two down-firing or something?

Push pull config - 2 internal firing woofers co-located on the back side.

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    If I could I'd like to borrow a line from Frank..
    "Jesus H. Tap Dancin' Christ!"
    Doc,
    Were you on the product development committee here or something?

No, but I was in touch with Tom V (head designer and co-founder of SVS) throughout much of the final stages of development and followed the Beta testing closely.

One of the obvious questions being asked at the time was why not use the TC Sounds TV-12 driver from the Ultra? The primary reason was WEIGHT (it is simply a gigantic magnet structure), and secondly, after dozens of computer sims and in-house design-builds, the TC Sounds dB-12 driver simply worked the best out of all the available choices. At anything but the highest volumes the two drivers are very similar in sound quality, and the dB-12 driver in this application is hardly stressed. A good design choice in the end.

Gonzo, I didn't want to appear to be exaggerating, but truth be told, the Beta testing SPL was actually 145 in a 2500 ft3 room at 25 Hz. You can expect better than WinISD is telling you - I'm betting close to 130 at 2 meters from your Stryke Force.

In fact, last night I just graphed and analyzed one of the first in-room FR's of the regular production B4 Plus from owner John Doran. He was struggling with the RS correction factors and Excel, so I helped him out.

The in-room graph was good looking except for a large room-induced 20+ dB dip between 42 and 58 Hz that is obviously a standing wave null. I emailed the graph to Tom V and he is now working with John Doran to experiment with room placement and possibly moving the key listening position a few feet in either direction. Rooms can wreak havoc with a sub's FR, that's for sure.

F3 extension with all 4 ports open was around 19 Hz - exactly what it should be since the sub is tuned anechoic for around 23 Hz and typical in room extension adds 4 Hz or so. Plugging a port should get him an F3 of about 15 Hz, which is plenty deep with SPL to spare.

If you want to get crazy, two ports plugged will get an F3 of about 9 Hz. To put that into perspective, that STILL leaves twice the port area and four times the woofer area as a $5000 Aerial SW-12!!

SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    *MOM!!!!!!!!! CAN I HAVE 3000 DOLLARS PLEASE??????????????*
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    5 dots for that one lil' bud...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    Sweeeeet!!! My closest neighbor is ½ mile away. Bet if I got that, I could actually get them to call the sheriff on me for disturbance!
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2003
    I bet you would have the sheffif in watching a movie with 60 seconds of him pulling up. :)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    just dont have on a ganster movie he might come in with his guns pulled.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2003
    One word! Dang! What would be the return policy? if it comes on a crate, how would you recrate it should you need to return it? Without a chance to auditioning it, how do you know if it is the "right" one?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited February 2003
    Simple....once you fire it up and it blows down two or three walls in the room, you should have plenty of lumber to rebuild the crate and ship it back.......

:D:D:D
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....