Location, Location, Location

mangata572
mangata572 Posts: 52
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I don’t post very often, but I’ve been reading these threads for sometime just to lean more about what others say. I wanted to share something that I knew but did not practice, speaker location (for the new guys).

I had the RT800i mains, but took advantage of CCs trade up policy for the RTi150s. When I first set them up at home I noticed they did not have as much midrange as the 800s, but they do have a fuller sound. I also thought they did not have as good of stereo imaging. I felt like I was listening to the two speakers, not the music. I though I made a mistake would just live with it.

The other night (somewhat drunk) I realized that I had the speakers where they looked good in my setup, but not centered to the screen (one was a full 16” off center) and not evenly spaced from the wall (one was about 10” closer to the sitting area than the other). So, determined that they must sound better than what I was hearing, I started measuring, relocating, changing the tow in, moving the furniture, etc.

HOLY ---- ! What a difference! Now I’m listening to sonic heaven, not just the two speakers. I just can not believe how much better the sound. Maybe I will just enjoy for a bit longer before upgrading to separates because moving the speakers has made such a difference. Just as impressive is HT. A shorter coffee table and a small wedge under the front of the center made a big difference. The wife does not necessarily like the new placement as much, but she said she can live with it (thank god!).

Anyway, just wanted to share the experience, and remind the newcomers the importance of Location, Location, Location!
Post edited by mangata572 on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2003
    Great post mangata. Placement is very crucial, especially for 2 channel music listening. We spend a large amount of $ on our speakers, therefore we must spend a large amount of time setting them up to make sure the money was well spent.

Maurice
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2003
    For those of you primarily concerned with using speakers for music, do you angle your speakers so that they focus on one central part of the room, or just have them fire parallel to each other and perpendicular to the wall?
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2003
    Shizelbs,
    That really depends on your room and distance from your speakers. Mine sounds best slightly toe-in while others have them pointing straight out. Experiment and use the one you like best.

Maurice
  • mangata572
    edited February 2003
    Wow, I should proof read my post before submitting! Sorry for the bad typing. Maybe I’ll go back to spelling school.
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    I am with ATCVenom on this one, the LSi-9s are great speakers, but they are finicky about placement. I would say mine are toed in about 45-50 degrees. There is a 5-6 foot wide sweetspot and it is sooooo good.
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited February 2003
    I have the 150s also, and in my room they are about 1.5 feet away from the side walls and probably three feet out from the front wall. This puts them about10 feet apart. I have a 75 gallon aquarium against the front wall(centered), and a 38" HD widescreen rca in the right corner. I spent hours over the course of a couple weeks moving and listening. Really, the only thing I could change very much was the angle. Mine ended up toed in pretty far(maybe45 degrees). They basically point right at me when seated at the other point of the triangle. I had it really close, and moving my chair forward just a couple of inches brought it all into place. Now there is a very impressive soundstage and strong center focus. The sweet spot is pretty narrow however, but I'm the only one who listens with any kind of interest anyway, so it works for me. I love it!

I'm about to add a second carver 250wpc power amp. I'll be vertically biamping each 150 with its own amp. I'm eagerly looking forward to an even better sound.

So, I must agree, location is everything, I just wish those things were easier to move.

Oh yeah, I also found that by tilting them back ever so slightly I got better results.
  • mangata572
    edited February 2003
    steve, how do you like the 150s. Did you own polks before?
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited February 2003
    I bought some monitor 10bs back in 86 I believe, and still have them now. I have replaced both tweeters and rebuilt the crossovers using upgraded parts. They still sound great, but replacing them with the 150s for the front mains was a definate step up in sound for me.

They have more punch and can really handle the power. I have no regrets whatever!!