best way to mount lsi9 spekers to wall

Options
neptunebchdawg
neptunebchdawg Posts: 10
edited September 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am trying to come up with a good way to mount my lsi9 speakers to my wall.So far all I can find is the B-Teck-77 which looks like it has some pitfalls :eek: so to speak,no pun intended........any ideas would be of great help,Thanks :confused:
Post edited by neptunebchdawg on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The B-Techs are what I would recommend. What probems do they present since those problems may be easier to solve than trying to come up with another solution that works.....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    That's a very sturdy bracket. The only issue you might have is the range of adjustment spec'd due to the depth of the LSi9.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • neptunebchdawg
    edited September 2007
    Options
    After much research I found the sanus vision mount,universal tv mount.It fits perfect with the lsi9s laying on thier sides with some foam under them.It has an arm that extends 17in out and swivels 170 degrees and a plater that swivels180 degrees.Fits them like a glove and has a great safety strap.I picked them up at Target or you can order them from the internet.80 dollars from target and they will support 100lbs. They work great and you can adjust them untill you're hearts content,with the sound.plus they have a lip so you're speaks will not slide off.:D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Good Job!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • McLoki
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Do you notice any difference in sound with them lying on thier side as opposed to standing up?

Just curious. Glad you found a solution that works for you,

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • neptunebchdawg
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I do notice a difference in sound with them lying on their side as opposed to them standing up like I had them before on stands, they sound absolutely kick **** since they are up high and dialed in, alot more spacious sounding since there is no interference with funiture etc. plus more floor space for the office.
  • EFW
    EFW Posts: 28
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I used the B-Techs for mounting my monitor 40's on my rear wall. I used some longer/stronger torx head screws (3" X 4 screws directly into studs):D instead of what came with them for mounting. You can do chin ups on them if you want.:eek: The only problem I found is in order to angle them all the way down it is necessary to use the smaller screws supplied to secure the speaker to the mount.:( I wasn't to thrilled about doing this but I used a Dremel tool to file down the screw and make it a little shorter, this prevented it from going all the way through the box. I used 1 screw on each side and 1 in the bottom. Trust me these things are going no where and the sound outstanding.:D Overall I would say that the B-Techs are the best I have seen for this particular aplication. If you don't like the ideas of putting screws in your speaker boxes, which I am sure you don't. You can use a large phillips screwdriver to realy tourqe down on the clamps. This will hold them but I wouldn't recomend placing them at the full down angle. Hope this helps.............EFW:cool:
    AVR...........Onkyo TX-SR703
    TV.............Mitsubishi WD-62627:D
    HD DVD.......Toshiba HD-XA2:cool:
    Power.........Monster HTS 1600
    Mains.........Monitor 70's
    Center........CS2
    Rears..........Monitor 40's
    Sub............PSW12

Cables........Signal Cable
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Proper placement is critical for the 9's. Your choice of mounting location and orientation is poor to say the least. While I agree that room limitations play a part in plaement, you can certainly do better than stuffing them in a corner on their sides.

Your missing out on superb sound quality the way they are now.

No flames, just my $.02
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited September 2007
    Options
    neptunebchdawg,

nice job and good looking mounts. Looks like they were made for them.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • McLoki
    edited September 2007
    Options
    EFW wrote: »
    The only problem I found is in order to angle them all the way down it is necessary to use the smaller screws supplied to secure the speaker to the mount.:( I wasn't to thrilled about doing this but I used a Dremel tool to file down the screw and make it a little shorter, this prevented it from going all the way through the box. I used 1 screw on each side and 1 in the bottom.

It really kills me to hear of people drilling into thier speakers when they don't really have to. (maybe because I purchase everything used so your speakers with holes in the bottom may one day become my speakers with holes in the bottom...... :) )

This is how I attached my LSi7's to the b-tech stands with no holes anywhere and I have them tilted as far as they will go. They have been secure in this position for over a year now.....

Pic1 - get some type of non-skid pad and cut it to fit where the speaker contacts the metal b-tech stand. You will end up with 2 thin strips (for the adjustable sides) and one square pad for the center of the stand.

Pic2 - wrap a large zip tie around the bar coming out from the wall (do not cut it off yet)

Pic3 - take another zip tie and feed it into the keyhole slot on the back of the speaker (pointed end, not block end sticking out of the slot). Then take a third ziptie and feed the block end onto the part sticking out of the keyhole slot. This will form a V that is stiff enough it will not pull through the keyhole slot. (if it does, use a larger zip tie)

Pic4 - feed the block end of the ziptie from the keyhole slot down and through the end of the zip tie going around the bar that you did not cut off from step one.

Tighen everything up (but not so tight as to lift the speaker, just enough to hold the back of the speaker snug against the stand), trim (but do not cut to much of your "V" on the back of the speaker) and you are done.

If you do not have a keyhole slot - just get creative with the zip ties on the back (maybe around the power port?) and you can come up with something. I used black zip ties and if I did not mention them, you would never notice them on the stands....

There you go - good luck,

Michael