what to look for in audio?

Options
dave shepard
dave shepard Posts: 1,334
edited February 2003 in Music & Movies
I've just got back into high fedelity and would like to know what to look for on audio cd's for my set-up. I've heard that there making them to be played on these set-ups but am having trouble finding anyone in the stores who knows what I'm refering to. I'm into all kinds of music and just don't know what to look for any help would be helpful. Also what setting sounds best or does the recievers decoder pick which to play?

Thanks
Dave
Post edited by dave shepard on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    Options
    any of the patricia barber cd.
    norah jones cd
    they are great.
    sound and performance

these cds sound best in 2 channel
    but try suround
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey Dave-
    What you are referring to is called DVD-Audio. There is also another new competing format called SACD. Your DVD player has to be compatible to utilize either one though. Your Panny is capable of playing DVD-Audio, which is my personal favorite of the two. What it does is play music through your 5.1 channels, some recordings are extremely clear and awesome to listen to. Some albums will always be unbeatable in stereo, but I have heard some good recordings through five channels. I only have 2 DVD-Audio discs right now, as I don’t even have a capable player of my own. Thats one cool thing about DVD-A is that you can play it through DD and DTS on a normal DVD player. I have Tigerlily by Natalie Merchant and Riding With The King by Eric Clapton/BB King. You should go check the shelves of your local music shop they should have something. Hope this helps. Mike
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    What is the difference between DVD-A and SACD? Do you need six cables for true playback in either format?
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You'll need 6 RCA cables for true DVD-A playback and for Multi-channel SACD's.

Here's a link that explains the SACD format.
    http://www.sacd.philips.com/technology.html

Here's another that does a pretty good job of explaining the difference.
    http://www.surroundassociates.com/newformats.html

Hope these help clear up the mystery!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks, Frank! Appreciate the links. Does it really sound a lot better than DTS/DD? And which format sounds best?
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I prefer SACD as a music only format. I like a lot of the 2 channel SACD mixes for the sonic quality. Some of the Multi-channel SACD is ok too. SACD may end up being a "high end" format only. DVD-A does not seem to be holding its own with the high end crowd. There are several new SACD players coming on the market but most DVD-A is combined with a DVD-Video player. The general public has not yet caught on to buying the same album they already have to get a m-channel mix. They can do that with their CD and hit one of the DSP modes on their receiver. Now "audiophiles" will buy many copies of the same work to get that elusive "perfect" sound. This is why I don't think that either will survive as a mass market format but SACD may continue like vinyl has done.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • davidein
    davidein Posts: 8
    edited January 2003
    Options
    any player that can play both SACD and DVD-Audio?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Universal players are very common place lately. I use a Pioneer Elite DV-47A. Pick your favorite brand and check out their website, I'm sure you'll find more combo players than you can shake a dead cat at!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • davidein
    davidein Posts: 8
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks I found 3 from pioneer just what I needed :D
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Does anyone know if there are any Led Zeppelin CD's out in DVD-A format? Thanks