DVD/CD Player Digital Output

Options
Steve@3dai
Steve@3dai Posts: 983
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I was thinking about this the other day when I was looking at getting a more "high end" DVD/CD player.

If I am using my DVD player's digital output to my receiver, I am using the D/A converters on the receiver, not the DVD player. So would upgrading the DVD/CD player be really worth it? I mean, digital is digital, correct?

The only thing I can think that an upgraded player would give me is a better laser pickup, and better analog outs for DVD-A (which isn't a HUGE concern).

Am I missing something?
LSi 9/C/FX
Arcam AVR-200
Post edited by Steve@3dai on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You are on point. I went through this when I was looking for a CD player. I was thinking "Damn this thing doesn't have an optical output?" Then I smacked myself and realized that if I were upgrading for SQ purposes, then I wouldn't want to use any digital output.

You will most likely get a better picture from a 'better' dvd player, and as long as you use the analog outputs from the DVD player for CD audio etc., then you will get 'better' sound out of it. Not sure how that would work with the 6ch outputs for DVD-A though.

But as far as HT or digital outputs are concerned you would still be using the same DACs and internal components in your receiver.

What is your goal? Better sound? You want better sound than your Arcam receiver? heheh

I think the main advantages of a higher quality DVD player for you would be better laser pickup, better layer switching and video performance, and overall better internal components for general CD/audio use (quieter, less noise/distortion).

The internal DACs would be a bonus, if they are indeed better than what your receiver has.

Let me know what you decide, and if you are going to sell that Tosh of yours. ;)