CSi40

Options
MJD
MJD Posts: 6
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I currently own the CSi40 center channel, Is it possible to blow these and if so what would the signs be. I have a 100W receiver that I crank up to about 10 o'clock.

Thanks
Post edited by MJD on

Comments

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You can pretty much blow just about any speaker/sub, regardless of the wattage of your receiver and the wattage specs of the speaker, if you turn the volume up too loud - period.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MJD
    I currently own the CSi40 center channel, Is it possible to blow these and if so what would the signs be. I have a 100W receiver that I crank up to about 10 o'clock.
    Thanks

I agree with kberg.

Assuming your vol control runs the typical 7 to 5 (min to max), I wouldn't think you're close to overpowering the CSi40. Especially if your center is set to 'small'. Is it?

If not, or if your AVR does not have center/ surrounds setting options, you probably still are not endangering the mid/bass driver, but clipping could occur during VERY loud, sustained segments of your program material, e.g., the tank rolling late in Saving Private Ryan. Clipping goes after tweeters.

Is your receiver 100wpc all the way around? all 5 (?) channels? If yes, you're probably OK clipping wise as well.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD