monitor 7 newbie

woody8086
woody8086 Posts: 1
Not having a lot of $$$$, and after checking the forums here, I was pleased to find out that I purchased a somewhat perfect condition of Polk Monitor 7's(there's no letter after the #7 on the back) for $50 at a yard sale. The only drawback is that one of the tweeters is not working properly. I don't think it's a problem with the tweeter itself, but maybe a crossover problem. Is repairing or getting a new crossover going to pose a problem? I realize that they are pretty old speakers and getting parts are going to be tough. Also, What would a working pair of these great sounding speakers be worth?
Post edited by woody8086 on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    I own a pair of Monitor 7C... do the external 'leads' on the tweeters slant at an angle, or are they perfectly horizontal away from each side of the dome?

First thing I'd do is swap the tweeters from one speaker to the other and see if both tweeters work. Don't know why you'd think it was a crossover problem rather than a driver.. but that test should let you know.

Also, check on the back of the tweeters and see what model number is there. Mine are SL2000s.. Prior versions of the Monitor 7 used a different tweeter, the SL1000, and some later models used the SL2500. I think the SL2000 is superior to the 2500.

If your tweeter leads slant it is the SL1000, I think this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=11056853&St=9794&St2=-46130455&St3=32570030&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16228&DID=7

is pretty close to a drop-in replacement.

Madisound carries it also if shipping would be cheaper for you.

And of course Polk customer service can set you up if you call them.

Don't know what the going price would be, but I can tell you that if they work as they should, you'll never get the money out of them that it would take to buy something new even close to as good. Monitor 5jr+ have gone off this site for under $150, and they are a step down in terms of bass performance.

If they work, keep 'em, or give them to me... uh, actually, forget everything I said.. those old Monitor 7 speakers used asbestos as fill and if you listen to them your balls will fall off. Contact me immediately and I will take them off your hands and save you much embarrassment at the gym. Heck, I'll save you even with the busted tweet.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by burdette
    ...those old Monitor 7 speakers used asbestos as fill and if you listen to them your balls will fall off. Contact me immediately and I will take them off your hands and save you much embarrassment at the gym. Heck, I'll save you even with the busted tweet.

burdette,
    You'd better quit donating your time to these old 7 victims. Between your job, the soup kitchen and the orphanage, you're stretched thin enough as it is. Thank goodness at least its between youth football and baseball seasons... you're not doing hockey again are you? You said you wouldn't after the stomach problem last year.

Please take a break! There are plenty of certified asbestos removal companies that can help woody out. Yeah it’ll cost him a couple hundred, but PLEASE think of yourself for once… but I know you won’t.

Woody,
    Just keep the grills on tight, slowly put a large plastic bag over each of them, close the vents in the room their in, close the door and stuff a towel under it good and tight. If you stay out of the room until burdette completes his decontamination, you should be OK. Knowing him he’ll be there before the weekend is up… brave, foolish man that he is…

End of post… nothing below to see woody... just hit your back button to return to the thread list… bye now…

"Life's been good etc, etc" JW Buckeye

"The journey.. blah blah blah... young"

OK, I think woody’s gone… burdette, think he bought it? Or did I go overboard again?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Woody, (assuming you're still around)

Try contacting Polk Cust Service. They supplied me with a troubleshooting guide for my Polk's, bet they can do the same for you. The simple VOM (Volt-Ohmmeter) tests they lay out for you might save you the effort swapping the tweeters and more.

Just messin' with you a bit in the earlier post. Above should make amends... (see Ken, see Micah, I can be nice. :) So please don’t HOS me, again…)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD