TX-SR600 Onkyo connection to a PSW250 Polk Subwoofer

Options
bensontm
bensontm Posts: 31
I have a TX-SR600 Onkyo receiver. The Onkyo manual explicitly states not to use 4 ohm speakers, just 6 ohm to 16 ohm.

How would I connect my PSW250 subwoofer?

Obviously the best way according to the Polk website which is using the left/right front speaker wires running from the receiver through the subwoofer and then into the right/left front speakers is not an option since the Onkyo TX-SR600 is not made for speakers below 6 ohms.

I presently have my "filtered" Onkyo subwoofer rca preout running into one of the left/right line in rca inputs on my Polk PSW250 since the PSW250 does not have a separate LFE input jack.

Ohhhh.
"Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
Subwoofer - Velodyne CHT-12
Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Surround Center - Polk CS400i
Post edited by bensontm on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Options
    With Polks method you are simply passing the signal through the sub. Since it is a powered sub the onkyo's amps are not driving the sub so the sub's impedence does not come into play. Besides what you are looking at is the specs for the amp - FTC Rated Amplifier Power: 50 watts continuous into 4ohms @ .03% 30. Just follow Polk's directions and you will be ok.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bensontm
    I presently have my "filtered" Onkyo subwoofer rca preout running into one of the left/right line in rca inputs on my Polk PSW250 since the PSW250 does not have a separate LFE input jack.

Shack is 100% on the money.

However, your current method will still work OK if you turn your filter control at the sub all the way up to its highest setting. This will prevent double filtering the LFE signal.

I like the RCA jack method because it's easier on the receiver's amp when the filtering is done before the receivers's amp stage.

A speaker level connection requires the receiver to send a full range, full current signal to the subwoofer, and the filtering is done at that point. This doesn't help the lighten the load on the receiver amp at all.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS